Chapter 10: Signs

Start from the beginning

Eleanor just nodded, shutting the door and changing into the clothes that the generous Mrs. Carnegie had brought up for her. She put the wig on, hoping they'd all think she used a blow dryer. She searched for a blow dryer, but alas, there was one which she turned on and fanned randomly around the bathroom.

Generosity definitely ran in the family aside from Hank Carnegie. She wore the jeans and sweater, not missing that the sweater smelled oddly of musk- it was definitely Adam's sweater. So Eleanor took it off and just wore a tank top.

Eleanor wondered why she trusted her so much, was Mrs. Carnegie suspicious of her? Did Mrs. Carnegie know more than she was leading on? Is it a regular thing for her to help a stranger who looked like a hood rat on a cold snowy day? How many people had been in the guest room? How many people had been offered luxurious clothes by Mrs. Carnegie- or Adam even... Eleanor wondered if there were a south and north wing as well, from the outside Eleanor had thought the mansion was huge but she had only ever spent her days in Adam's bed and the living room. She had no idea that the home was that big.

She quickly brushed the wig with her fingers and placed it over her head after she changed. She wore the clothes that she was given as she walked down the broad hallway. She could see the giant chandelier a floor above her and attached to the ceiling. Interesting to know that the home she had lived in for almost a year was way bigger than she had thought. Maybe he renovated it after she left, turned it into an even bigger maze.

She walked down the second staircase as she had been instructed, but her mind went blank when she saw Adam heading toward the other staircase up to their room. Her heart beat wildly, fluttering in anguish. Her mind flew to filthy flames as she watched her handsome husband walk. He'd definitely gotten way more muscular, his biceps bulged before, but now it seemed his dress shirt was too tight. Eleanor knew she was drooling as he turned and caught her eye.

Shit. She thought, wanting nothing more than to turn the other way. It was as though the devil himself was listening to her inner monologue as Adam turned around, not a single ounce of warmth on his face.

"My mother is looking for you, Elena," he seemed to have trouble pronouncing her name without completing the last few letters of Eleanor, "follow me." He said, walking closer as she immediately looked down to avoid recognition. If for one second he recognized her, Eleanor's plan would be a total failure and she would surely end up in jail.

"Okay, sir." Eleanor replied, trying hard to thicken her accent. He didn't speak another word to her until they reached the kitchen and parted ways. She stared longingly at him as he went about his business.

"Elena! Darling you're looking lovely." Mrs. Carnegie smiled as Eleanor nodded and walked over to her side.

"Hello Elena." The driver from earlier was seated beside her, he was clean shaven now and his luxurious brown hair was no longer covered by a hat. He had a smirk playing at the edge of his lips, a look that read I know something you don't know.

Eleanor shuddered at the thought, about to run hand through her hair before realizing she was wearing a wig- a wig that would fall off any moment.

She quickly brought her hand down and placed it at her side. Zac didn't miss a single thing, eying her carefully as Mrs. Carnegie continued to talk.

Shit. Eleanor thought.

"Elena?" Mrs. Carnegie asked, staring at her with concerned deep set eyes.

"Yes Mrs. Carnegie." She said in a breathy voice, spinning her head to look directly at the elder woman with lavishly outdone gray and brown hair.

"I was just saying how much you look like Adam's wife, well she died if you haven't heard the news, but darling, if you could pass as her doppleganger if you tried. I mean, we talked about this- I think you're right." Mrs. Carnegie didn't know the half of it as Eleanor nodded and blushed and she babbled on.

"I've never heard that before, but I've only been in the US for a short while anyway." Eleanor lied through smiling pearly whites. "Also, I'm very sorry for your loss."

"Between you and me," Mrs. Carnegie leaned in further, "he's better off without her..." Eleanor felt offended, she couldn't hide her offense as much as she would have liked.

"Why?" An ounce of annoyance was prevalent. She folded her arms, feeling attacked as Zac eyed her and Mrs. Carnegie smiles like a queen.

"It doesn't matter dear, he's remarrying soon." Mrs. Carnegie said gracefully, not providing an answer. Eleanor nodded blankly, glancing at her lap to hide the scowl that had taken over her whole face.

"Well anyway, we didn't just call you down here for no reason." Zac cut in,"we have a theory and since she couldn't keep her mouth shut, you know, you're part of this now. We think Eleanor may be alive... "

"Let's hope she isn't..." Mrs. Carnegie cut him off as her words sliced right through Eleanor. She hadn't realized she had been hated by Mrs. Carnegie, perhaps she's hated her ever since Eleanor sent Adam to the hospital for trying to help her. Or when Eleanor left Adam to mourn forever. "Anyway, would you like some tea Elena?"

Eleanor shook her head, a cryptic expression on her face now. Zac cut in, not noticing any tension as he continued to talk.

"But she might be. Adam wants me to search and we found this girl named Bree Walker, Adam told me that she met with him one night by Eleanor's street, may she rest in peace, and they spoke about Eleanor. Then, the next day she dropped off Eleanor's ring to John, the gatekeeper. We think she might know Eleanor or is affiliated with her in some way so as of right now we're searching for her. She was reported missing December 29 by her boyfriend Josiah Matthews and when I went to check the apartment out, he pointed me to the IOU letter, but he was clearly drunk so he might not remember that." Zac lied, it was part of his job to make himself out to be as innocent as possible. Eleanor's mind fled to Josiah, was he home by now? Was he safe? Would she ever see him again, had he betrayed her? Was he safe?

Zac's mouth kept moving as Eleanor randomly stood up. The world seemed to go hazy, blurry, and she felt dizzy. Her mind worried for too much and she felt the need to sleep. Before Josiah could say another word, Eleanor cut in.

"Sure, I can help, my family knows I am staying in the US for a while anyway. Anyway, I'm feeling slightly light-headed, so if you'll pardon me, I'd like to go sleep." She hurriedly walked away after Mrs. Carnegie gave her a concerned nod. She kept her head down and her eyes staring at her bare feet. She turned the corner and in the split second that she was about to run up the stairs, she felt something.

It was at that very moment that she bumped into what felt like a wall. A muscular arm reached for her, but couldn't keep a grasp. She lost balance and fell on her butt- praying that her wig stayed on.

————————
Chapter is dedicated to @carlcanread thanks for the constant support!