NEIL M. [4]

If there was any other way to do this, I wouldn't have Matt do this kind of thing; the look of utter shock and incredulity was absolutely priceless. I wasn't in any shape to be shooting through the damn window when my shoulder was sending waves of excruciating agony through my body.

"No! Are you nuts? I'm not going to kill people!" Matt's voice was high pitched in reluctance and trepidation.

I would have felt bad for him if it weren't in my knowledge that because he had phoned his mother we were found. The last thing I'm feeling was consideration, "You're not going to kill anyone. I just need you to shoot the wheels to keep them from following us." A cracked reverberated the air hitting the roof of the car nearly making me duck and lose control of the stirring wheel.

A frightened squeak left Matt's lips as an attempt to keep himself from screaming; he was slouching down getting on his knees to escape the bullet. And here I was touched at the fact Matt didn't want to leave me alone to die. I couldn't believe how stubborn this guy was, "No! I am not touching that gun." He refused and from my peripheral vision, he clenched his eyes shut in fear.

I didn't know how he did it but that really made me feel bad, "Matt, you don't want me to pass out or die, right? Take my gun and shoot at the wheels. They'll only get scratches." I spoke more softly trying to convince the poor guy and instead, I received an angrily flushed face. "Hell, no! I've seen the movies, what if I hit something to make the car explode?"

I sighed running a hand through my hair, I started to feel a bit dizzy probably from the blood loss. If I didn't get Matt to shoot I'd end up doing it myself and lose more blood than I needed to. "Sorry to break it to you but the movies lied. Cars don't explode by hitting the engine or the gas tank—unless it's with tracer bullets except that's not the point."

"But sti-"

"Fuck sakes, Matt! Use the damn gun," I snapped my patience already ran thin, "One of those bullets is going to hit us if you don't shoot the motherfucking gun."

"Fine!" He snapped back, taking the gun from the cup holder and held it in his hands with a pale complexion. "How do I shoot?" His question had me sighing in exasperation, it took a lot of energy to deal with him.

I didn't know how those people did it. Kidnapped people for whatever reason and had them do what they demanded or maybe I ended up with one of the annoying ones. So much for protecting. "Hold it with both hands and aim, make sure to hold it tightly but not too tight. Use the rear sight to line up the white dots to the front sight," I started explaining, my gaze flicked to the meter noting I was going at a speed that could get us killed if Matt didn't shoot.

God only knew what kind of thing could happen.

When I looked over at Matt I saw him raise the gun holding the grip panel as I told him. His eyebrows were furrowed in concentration, "Aim for the wheels. Don't think just relax and keep your hands from shaking as less as possible." I noticed the way the tension in his body visibly relaxed as he took a deep breath gripping his fingers around the gun again.

His forefinger on the trigger, "Now what?" His voice was low, I heard him regardlessly, "Focus on where you're shooting. Don't worry about anything else."

A few shots hit the car—Matt didn't flinch and before I told him to shoot he did. He cursed when the kick of my pistol had taken him off guard, his back almost hitting the dashboard. I heard something explode, tires screeching across the road; my honey brown eyes got a view of the SUV through the rear mirror. It skidded and made a half circular spin before it toppled over.

"Oh my god," Matt gaped in shock covering his mouth as he released the gun like it was the evilest thing in the world—little did he know that it saved lives, "You said they wouldn't get hurt!" The disheartened expression across his face had me wondering how this guy managed to stay alive in this world with the way he was.