“Sure. Why not,” I told him. He was all smiles to the class and even opened the door for me like a gentleman.

Water skills was difficult today.

Today we were manipulating water to become weapons and compacting them hard enough to pierce skin, almost like ice but without freezing it. I was way too tired from staying up with Derrek and had a little trouble keeping the molecules compacted.

All around me students held swords, maces, shields, whips and bow and arrows all made of pure water. It was quite a sight to see, if it was done right. I was holding a bow of compacted water molecules trying to shoot the target with the water arrow but I couldn’t concentrate and the arrow would burst into a shower of droplets.

“Valerie, you seem a little off today” Ms Flumine noted, “You will need this skill for Combat class so I suggest you take it easy now to avoid major accidents in class” Combat class! Damn I forgot about that. I was so exhausted I didn’t know how I will handle it. Water skills ended and we shuffled forward to the auditorium. As we entered I was still awestruck at the interior.

The desert, forest, lake and infirmary were still here and today the class settled in the middle.

“ Alright class let’s get moving! So earlier you all learned about ‘element solidify’. Today you will be partnered up and this is the technique, the only technique, that you will be using to attack your partner. Once again I am asking for nothing life threatening” Coach Shulk boomed.

For every combat class I’d been partnered with Colin so I was surprised when Coach Shulk called my name and partnered me with Derrek. I looked around for him and saw him at the back of the class not even moving. He looked dangerous with his tight black shirt and leather jacket that hung just above his low slung jeans, it seemed to match his brooding look.  I walked over to him and smiled. He glanced down at me and looked back at the coach. Ah, so jackass Derrek is back again I see. Damn.

Derrek was like an enigma. Once I thought I had him all figured out, his whole personality changed and I didn’t know what to think of it. Since day one here, my thoughts of Derrek had flip flopped back and forth so many times I might need to clone myself just to keep up with it. The coach finished partnering up the class and everyone walked off to different locations. Without glancing at me to see if I was following Derrek immediately turns to walk towards the desert scene. Just great.

I follow after him and I could feel the hydration around me disappearing. The desert scene seemed to have been modified to actually dry out almost every bit of moisture and I wasn’t liking how this would turn out. Luckily we were the closest to the forest and I knew I would be able to collect moisture from there.

“What’s wrong Tadpole? Feeling like a fish out of water?”  I turned to face Derrek, he was smirking at me. I scoffed, what else was new. As I watched him I noticed he positioned himself between two mounds of flame spurting dirt. Almost like mini volcanoes.

“Maybe” I told him truthfully, “But I can still kick your ass Sparky” Just then the twin volcanoes spat out two large orange flames and Derrek quickly swiped them. He swirled his hands in a circle as though he was rolling a ball between his hands and the flames mixed together to shape into a large flaming sword.

The sword handle looked almost as though it was molten rock with cracks throughout showing the glowing fire within and the blade, although it looked solid, had flames licking all around the edges. Derrek held it with two hands and spun it around his head before waiting to see what I would pull out from a desert.

I concentrated hard. I wasn’t in my element, like he was, where my element would be readily available. I swung my hand across my body and faced it behind me with my fingers spread apart towards the forest, always keeping my eyes on Derrek in case he decided to play dirty. I collected the water within the plants practically dehydrating them and strung it together to create a long sturdy whip. I couldn’t gather enough water to create something more so this would have to do.