9- "Meet Shelby."- part one

I get out of bed the next morning and get straight into my running clothes and shoes, ready for my morning run before school.

I run downstairs and grab a banana for breakfast before tying my hair up in a ponytail, grabbing my phone and headphones and then slamming the door behind me.

It takes about two minutes before I am in the Forrest. Today I have decided to run down past the lake and then back up through the trees and fields.

As I run I press play to my music before putting my headphones into my ears. I've decided to listen to some Tim McGraw and Garry Allen today as they are my favorite singers.

                          ***********

I've been running for about an hour before I decide to take it down to a fast walk.

After I feel a little more rested I run around the bend in the track and spot someone else running down the same path as me. At first, I don't pay much attention to them, but when I get a bit closer I realize who it is so I go and catch up with them before slowing down to their pace.

"Hey! You run?" I ask.

He turns his head to look at me, confusion in his eyes for a split second before answering, "well what am I doing now?"

"Well, I don't know?" I state sarcastically. "But I do know that you are about to run into that tree," I say nodding over at a large oak tree.

"Oh, thanks." He says before quickly dodging it.

"Well, I owed you," I say.

Ok, you've probably guessed who I'm talking to right now... Yes, it's Cole...

"Well I have to say, I didn't know you ran either," Cole says.

"I love running actually." I look back over at him, "and thanks again for the other night."

"Seriously stop saying thank you. I said it was fine." He says.

"Ok," I say putting my hands up in defense.

"How long you been running for?" Asks Cole.

"Umm about an hour. Maybe a little longer now." I reply.

"Seriously and you're going even faster than me and I've only been going for about half an hour."

"Come on then, speed up!" I say before running slightly ahead of him.

"No, wait!" He says while catching up with me. "So I'm on the team and you're not, but you're much better at running than me. How exactly does that work?"

"You're on the team?"

"Sure, You know we're actually looking for a new captain at the moment. Trials are today. You should go." He encourages.

"No... I was captain for my past school so I think I will leave that for someone else. Give them a chance you know?" I say.

"Wait, can we stop a second?" He asks taking a sudden stop and a large breath.

"Sure," I say slowing down before going at a slow walk and matching his speed.

"Sorry, I'm not very good at long distances... short distance is more my thing... But you should still go." He says referring to the tryouts.

"I don't know..."

"You know they are called tryouts for a reason... you try it out." He says.

"Yeah, but... Ok fine, I'll go. Might be fun." I shrug.

"Might? More like will."

"Ok fine," I say. "Now hurry up, we will be late for school."

Instead of following, Cole just sits down on some grass by the lake,