19

Amelia

"This place is sick," Yasmin exclaims as we walk up the freshly painted white staircase of my families new house.

"It doesn't compare to your house, though."

"I'm bored of my house. This is new and awesome." The upstairs is a lot smaller than the Fuentes's house and only has three bedrooms. My bedroom is the one closest to the staircase and beside the bathroom. At least I don't have to share this bathroom because my parents have one in their room.

My room is plain and painted white, only my double bed with black sheets is set against one of the walls, and boxes cover the floor. I don't have the motivation to unpack yet.

"Chrissy told me to force you to come to his party," she says, plopping down on my bed.

"Chrissy?"

"Your friend with the red hair?"

My eyebrows shoot up. "Red? That's his real name?"

"Yeah... Christopher. You didn't know?"

"No." I fall down beside her, lying on my back. "And he's already been bugging me about going but I can't be bothered."

"You can't be bothered doing anything anymore. Stop being boring."

"Since when do you and him talk anyway?"

She shrugs. "We don't. He just texted me about you not coming. Why, are you jealous?"

"Of course not," I roll my eyes. "He only wants me there because he wants me to bring you."

"Sounds like jealousy to me."

"It's really not. He's not my type."

"What is your type? Tall, dark and handsome moody spanish guys?"

I close my eyes and sigh, the image of Alex creeping into my mind, remembering the things he said to me. My chest starts to hurt.

"Too soon?"

"Know what? I think I will go tonight." It's better than sitting in on a Saturday night drowning in my thoughts about Alex, right? "Will he be there?"

She understands i'm talking about Alex. Saying his name out loud seems like a lot of effort. "Probably not. He definitely won't be if he knows you're there." She laughs then her smile drops when she sees my face. "Sorry, I just mean-"

"It's fine. I get it."

She nods, standing up. "I'm gonna go home and get ready. See you there?" I nod a yes and she leaves.

"That was a quick visit," Mom points out, standing at my door a few minutes later.

"Things are just weird with us since what happened."

"She's Alex's sister; of course it will be weird."

"I'm going out tonight," I say, changing the subject.

"Where?"

"My friends having this small party-"