25

Alex

"For the millionth time, Yasmin, I don't need anything and i'm perfectly fine."

"Okay okay. I'll get you more water."

"I don't need more i've got four full bottles sitting right here."

"Well, I'll get you some snacks."

"I'm not hungry."

Santiago stands behind her trying not to laugh and not helping me out at all in this painful situation.

"Well, you might be later."

"I'm so close to shouting the nurse and telling her i'm being harassed."

"I'm just trying to help." She punches my arm and it causes pain to erupt in my wounds, but I try not to show it.

"I know, but I don't need help. I feel awesome." That's a total lie. Even with this morphine I still feel pain every time I make a slight movement, and even if i'm laying still, I can still feel it.

"Mamá is getting out of her shift today to see you again," Santiago informs when Yasmin leaves the room to do whatever.

"She doesn't need to do that."

"I think you keep forgetting that you almost died. You didn't just get a paper cut, Alex."

"I ain't dead though, am I? Everything's good in the hood."

"Speaking of which. Caligari is dead, and the cops got all the other guys and found other people working for him."

"Not to be insensitive, but i'm so glad he's dead. He can't order someone to kill us from prison if he didn't even make it there."

"You can't say not to be insensitive before saying you're glad someone's dead and expect it not to seem insensitive. But yeah, same."

"Stop being such a snob." He screws up his face and I change the subject. "Have you seen Amelia?"

"No."

"Of course you haven't. Why would she come see me after the shit i've done?"

"I'm sure she will, dude." I hope so. I need to tell her i'm sorry and make things right now that there's no death threats being thrown around. There's still the risk of someone friends with Cal to come looking for revenge though.

But fuck it, I feel bad for the sucker that comes to my family looking for trouble.

+++

The nurses will have a meltdown if they see me out of bed, but I can't stand lying here doing nothing any longer. It's been four fucking days since shit happened. Isn't that enough time to heal?

Apparently not, says the pain stretching through my body when I stand up. Jesus shit, that hurts.

Out in the corridor I find Val stretched out across seats, fast asleep. I shake him until his eyes shoot open and he sits up.

"Don't eat my nuts!" He realises his surroundings and meets my eye. "Oh, hey Alex."

"What was that about?" I laugh.

"I was jus' dreamin' about squirrels. Yah know, the usual," he waves it off, sitting properly in the chair.

"You should go home and sleep."