15. Little Talks

Mick helped an upset Lauren get dressed. He helped her get downstairs, where she crawled up against him on the couch. Mick ordered some food for her and he called the doctor. This was getting out of control and he needed to fix it, because Lauren wasn't going to do it.

While Mick was taking care of Lauren, Steven and the other band members found Joe. Joe was outside playing his guitar.

"What the fuck was that dude?" Tom said, breaking the ice.

Steven just stared at Joe. The anger in his eyes was rooted deep.

"Really Joe? I thought you were my friend. I thought you had changed. I didn't expect this from you. Don't you realize what you have done?" Steven started yelling. The tone and force of his voice scared Joey and Brad, who backed off a bit, but still standing between Joe and Steven.

"I don't care." Joe said. "She didn't say no."

"But she didn't say yes either, did she." Joey said. "You just violated her trust in you. She thought we were protecting her. Like we did that Sunday."

"No, Steven is protecting her. Brad is protecting her. Tom is protecting her. You are protecting her. I'm not doing anything. I told you this is bullshit and that I didn't want anything to do with it." Joe fought back.

"I don't care that you don't want anything to do with it. Lauren is Mick's guest. He took her in. He invited us to come. We are supposed to treat the situation with care and respect. You are being selfish and frankly I'm done with your behavior." Steven screamed. "You fucking raped her! After I told you that happened four weeks ago and you saw it happen just a few days ago! What the fuck where you thinking! You fucking idiot. I thought you're were my friend!"

"You already said that!" Joe screamed back. "You always do this, put the girl before the music. I'm done with this shit. You need to get your priorities in order otherwise there won't be a concert Friday." Joe said.

Back inside Mick talked to the doctor, who was coming over to assess the situation. Mick put Lauren back in bed, she stopped crying but wasn't responding to anything, and walked outside to wait for the doctor.

"Mick, how is she." Brad asked as Mick came outside.

"I don't know. She isn't responding to anything. She's barely moving. I think this broke her. And she was in a fragile state to begin with. It took me two weeks to get her to agree to go back to work after Christmas."

"What are we going to do now?"

"I called the doctor. He's going to try and get over here. He's worried too." Mick said.

"Joe, you messed up but you're right about the music. I'll put my focus on the music and let Mick take care of Lauren, for now. After the concert, I'm taking some time to help this girl back on track. I have the money, she probably doesn't." Steven said in a normal voice.

"That's all I ask." Joe said. "Don't forget, you have four friends. We all need some attention from time to time. "And I'll give it, but your are not forgiven for what you did to that girl." Steven said Joe shrugged he really didn't care about that. He just needed to focus on the music to keep away from his addiction.

Just before the group made way back in side, the gates opened. A car pulled up and a man got out. It was the doctor. "That was quick." Mick said.

"You sounded worried, which made it sound urgent. So I came as fast as I could."

"I think she broke down again. She's not responding to me or anything for that matter." Mick told the doctor.

"Has she been eating, drinking and taking care of herself?"

"I gave her some food about half an hour ago. Drinking I don't know. She does have a bottle of water she keeps in her bag. As for taking care of herself, that's the problem."

"What sort of a problem?"

"She's on drugs, doc." Mick said.

"What kind? Pills, coke, meth?"

"Mostly coke I think, but there's also pills and a bottle of heroin in her bag. She wouldn't let go of the bag, so I'm not sure."

"Okay. Where is she"

"She's in this room." Mick said, opening the doors to the family room.

When the group entered the room they saw Lauren. She was plumped on the bed. She didn't move. She had tucked herself under the sheets. When the doctor walked up to her and touched her arm she flinched. Steven didn't want to see the scene so he took the band to go and rehearse.

"Lauren?" The doctor asked. "Can you nod if you can hear me?"

Lauren nodded

"Do you remember who I am?" He asked

Lauren nodded again.

"Are you in pain?"

Lauren shook her head.

"Are you having anxiety?"

Lauren nodded.

"Do you want me to give you a shot?"

Lauren nodded, her eyes darting around the room.

"Before I can do that, I have to know if you used anything in the last 24 hours. Can I see what's in your bag?"

Lauren didn't let go of the bag at first, but when the doctor insisted he could only help her if she gave him the bag, she let go.

"Thank you, Lauren." The doctor said.

A few steps away from the bed, the doctor emptied the bag on a small table. He found needles, xanax, powder, the bottle with heroin, some other pills and a small blade.

One by one he showed them to Lauren, asking her if she took a pill or coke. Lauren nodded at the coke and heroin, but she didn't take a pill. The doctor told her thank you, and he gave her a shot. "This will help you sleep for a bit."

"Mick, can I talk to you?"

"What's up, doc?" Mick said, walking away from Lauren.

"I'm not sure. I do believe she has to detox from the drugs and the maybe pills, but that we can arrange later. For now I think she needs to rest, sleep and find someone to confide in. The abortion and the attack have been hard on her. She's fragile, unstable and her body is still recovering."

"She was attacked again a couple of days ago." Mick told the doctor. "But she doesn't want to talk to anybody about that."

"Not somebody who might understand, or someone who rescued her from her attacker?"

"Well, she was saved by Steven. I could ask him to sit with her when she has calmed down."

"Yes, please, do that. I think that will help. Call me when you're going to try it."

"Will do." Mick said as he and the doctor walked towards the doors.

"Mick, this is not your fault . You're a good friend. I'll be back tomorrow to check up on her." And the doctor left.