P h o t o #14 - Hypocritical Thinking

Start from the beginning

I looked up at the sky, which was a clear shade of blue. Not a cloud was in sight today. The weather really had taken a change for the better.

"Hurry, hurry!" I heard someone call out. Thinking it was directed towards me for a second, I looked up. My brown eyes quickly caught where the voice had come from. The tiny peeping came from a little girl with short dirty blonde hair a few yards in front of me.

There was the pitter-patter of excited footsteps across the perfectly paved concrete of the park, then an equally small voice called back. "Hey! Wait for me!" A little brunette girl, a bit shorter than the blonde one, yelled back. Her long, light brown hair slapped her back as she ran up to her friend.

The blonde girl reached out her hand, which the brunette happily took. They then exchanged smiles, both girls clearly missing some baby teeth, and skipped down the side walk to two adults that were calling for them.

I watched the family, suddenly realizing their sisters, not friends. A shaky breath escapes my lips.

"Emma!" I heard a grumpy voice call out. I turn my head, my pony tail whipping me in the shoulder. My eyes meet with Elliot's hazel irises, which were sporting more of a grassy green tint than brown in the sunlight. He had his hands shoved in his pocket as he looked towards my direction. "Are you coming or what?"

A small smile played upon my lips, happy that I was pulled out of my spiraling thoughts before they could turn against me. Also, something about Elliot calling out my name with that usual voice of his made me just a tiny bit joyous. "Yup!" I ran to him and the rest of the group, who were quickly making their way to the next attraction.

Even though I know Elliot didn't mean to do anything by the rude way he shook me out of my thoughts, I couldn't help but silently thank him as my old shoes scuffed against the pavement.

***

"Ugh," I let out a long breath as I plopped onto the nearest bench as the rest of the group got snow cones at the nearest food cart, trying to keep my head from spinning. After riding the "Wheel Of Death", a ride that spins you in all directions for almost four minutes straight, twice in a row (courtesy of Cooper), my stomach was knotting itself up like two ropes twisting together.

"Here." A smooth voice called out from my left. I instantly cocked my head to the side without a thought. Bad idea. A whirl of colors blinded my vision for just a second. I blinked a few times to get the bright colors out of my eyesight and to adjust my annoying contacts, only allowing my eyes to meet slick black irises behind thin, clear lenses.

Parker was holding a water bottle out to me. Startled by the sudden action -and for making him wait so long for me to get situated - I briskly took it out from his slender fingers.

I nodded to him, gave him a small thank you, and gulped down almost half of the bottle. I hadn't even realized how thirsty I was until I felt the cold, refreshing liquid touch my tongue. I tilted my head back up after the reviving drink to screw the cap back onto the bottle.

As I did this, I slowly snuck a peek to my left, seeing Parker leaning against the navy blue railing, his fingers twitching a bit as he stared off into space. His dark eyes were ever so dull, like he was in his own world, not even conscious of me next to him anymore.

"Uh," I whispered a bit. He snapped back into reality at the suddenness of my voice.

He looked back down at me, still keeping his usual calculating look, like he was hiding something behind those hypnotic black eyes of his. "Sorry. What is it?"

"I, um, just wanted to thank you for giving me a drink." I lamely held up the water bottle he had just given me not even five minutes ago to emphasize.