P h o t o #43 - Endless Possibilities

"I truly can't believe you, Kayla Appollo." I drawled, my tone monotonous as I stared at my reflection in her oversized vanity mirror, studying its pink trims and jewels that bedazzled its corners. My eyes observed the many empty or tipped over bottles of lotions and cosmetics scattered across her large desk before me, wondering just what she would need all of these feature altering items for when she was so attractive on her own.

"I can hear the love in your voice, Emma Leighs, and don't you try denying it." She answered back, her plump lips pulled back into a sly smirk as she ran her fingers through my long hair, undoing its many knots acquired from a long day at work.

"Really, you scared the living daylights out of me with all of those texts." I shook my head a bit, but not much do to the large chunk of hair Kayla was continuing to work on, as I recalled the many vague text messages I had received just an hour before calling me over to the Appollo house ASAP, "Why did you call me here again, exactly?"

Kayla's taut lips quickly pulled into a pout, her reflection reminding just how many physical attributes she shared with her younger brother, "Hey, I never said I was hurt or anything, I just said it was a dire emergency and that you should head over to my house pronto, no biggie." She directed an innocent smile my way, which I responded to with a dry look and a puff of hair towards a stray lock of hair that was getting into my vision, "I didn't think you'd take it that way, sorry."

"Usually messages with that kind of content aren't sent unless it's, you know, actually a dire situation though." I responded, still putting on an un-amused facade.

"Y'know," Kayla said, pulling her hands out from my hair and crossing over her chest, pretending to just as in-amused, "You've become really sarcastic lately."

My only retort was a large, goofy smile back at her reflection. Kayla lightly shoved the back of my shoulders, sporting her own grin, "Jeez," She giggled, "I did say I'd do your hair as an apology, Emma. It was a literal disaster when you walked in the door!"

"Blame it on the someone who had me almost speeding to get here."

Kayla threw her arms around my shoulders and leaned her head on top of mine. My hand fell on top of her tan forearm as she stared at me in the mirror with beige doe eyes, "I know, I know. I'm sorry, and thank you for caring about me so much that'd you'd do that." She gave me a tight squeeze and I couldn't stop grinning.

After getting out our girlish giggles and letting Kayla give my hair a pristine French braid after claiming it would be the only thing to tame my hair without giving it a major scrubbing - which undoubtedly made me remember my night with Elliot at the bowling alley all over again - she absentmindedly added, "I know a girl's hair is basically her life and all, but I think you should just chop these unmanageable waves off, Emma. You'd look great with short hair."

The little hairs on the back of my neck prickled at the thought of having short hair again. The last time I had sported such a brash haircut was four years ago, and after the day following Christmas Day of that year, I decided I'd never, ever cut my hair again. I had stayed true to that promise to myself, except for my minor mishap in cooking class the year before when I had to trim the edges I'd accidentally fried. I could only faintly remember the adorable bob cut I wore throughout my early life and well into my middle school years, but I did begin missing how easy it was to take care of.

I shook my head, feeling Kayla's fingers slip from my scalp at the sudden movement, "No...no. I couldn't do that."

Kayla held up her hands in defense as I stared back at her in the mirror, "Alright. Just a suggestion, that's all."