P h o t o #41 - Behind The Lens

A whirl of colors greeted me as Elliot and I walked into the bowling lanes, the warm air from the heaters above our heads relieving us from the brutal cold that had hit our town after the sun had set.

I shimmied out of my coat, the heat inside immediately filling my body and forcing the chill out of my bones.

An extended hand in my peripheral vision chased me to look up, "Here, I'll rent us a locker."

I nodded thoughtfully and handed him my jacket, "I'll cash in our tickets." I said back.

He gave me his blessings and was off towards the locker area, his retreating figure holding onto my stare for just a moment too long.

I shook my head and turned towards the counter built into the wall, trying not to think too hard about the unnerving emotions washing over me at the time.

The man behind the counter, a short older man who was full to the brim with smiles, eyed the tickets in my hand, "Two tickets?" I nodded and his beam grew. His boney hand snatched the two pieces of paper from my grasp, his black and blue striped bowling uniform creasing as his torso leaned over to grab the hole-puncher from the counter top, "Date night, huh?" He spoke as his bead nodded in the direction Elliot had went.

"Wha-" I squawked, almost falling back on my heels. I rung my hands back and forth in defense, "N-No! We're not dating or anything like that...!"

Suddenly the man's smile slid off his face, replaced with a borderline pitiful look, "Boy, I almost feel sad for the young man, what with how readily you corrected me."

"Huh...?"

He handed me back the two tickets and worked a grin back into his face just as Elliot approached me from behind.

"Let's go get our shoes." He said, the corners of his mouth only slightly upturned, as if he was fighting off a smile.

I agreed, feeling warmth bubble reside in me as I watched Elliot happily. Even if he was trying to keep himself calm for whatever reasons he had, I could see his eyes shining as he took in the bowling alley and the many groups of people having a good time together.

We went over to another counter just a few feet away and both got our shoes, telling the young woman garbed in the same uniform as the man before our sizes.

She handed me my multicolored-striped pair first, her large eyes reflecting no shame as she gazed upon Elliot. An uncomfortable feeling washed over me as she flirtatiously tucked a lock of brunette hair behind her ear, trying to stall us as long as she could, her firm grasp still on Elliot's pair of shoes as she tried striking up a conversation.

Politely and swiftly, Elliot diverted from the road she was trying to direct him down. Not a moment to waste, he gently took his shoes from her hands and faced me.

I peeked behind him, staring at the smitten girl as she rested her head in her hand. I must've looked impressed at how easily he avoided the situation he was being forced into because Elliot smirked as spoke.

"Lane twelve sound good?"

I snapped my head towards the lanes, the sounds of pins being knocked over and cheerful voices ringing out filling the air, and realized that lane twelve was the only lane empty. I turned my was and nodded a bit too vigorously, feeling a faint flush coating my face.