An Easter Surprise -- Short Story 21

••••••••••••••••

Pumping my arms, I kept up a decent pace. I could feel my legs burning and my heart pounding, but I kept running.

I crossed the deserted street and stopped at our house. Running up the porch steps we recently built, I found my water bottle in it's usual spot on the railing.

I checked the time on my stopwatch before draining my water bottle.

Stretched and rehydrated, I opened the screen door to get inside.

"You should have come today," I ran into my boyfriend of four and a half years in the kitchen, "I'm getting pretty fast."

"That's exactly why I don't come." Jesse snickered, sipping his morning coffee.

"I thought it was because of your asthma." I teased, giving him a kiss on the cheek before leaving the kitchen to have a shower.

"That's just an excuse I use!' Jesse yelled, "I could totally take you down in a race!"

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, Jesse!" I called back from our bedroom.

His chuckling could be heard down the hall. Smiling, I got ready for my shower.

Since moving into this three bedroom rancher just over three months ago, I've been going for morning jogs around the neighbourhood every few days.

Every morning that I go, I invite Jesse.

And every morning he refuses to come with me.

His loss really.

Drying my hair after getting dressed, I sat on our bed to brush it out.

"Ang," Jesse walked in holding my phone, "You know what today is, don't you?"

"Should I?" I frowned, trying to think.

"It's Easter." Jesse's eyes lit up, "And your aunt just called."

"You're excited about Easter?" I laughed.

"Not really, but your aunt invited us to have dinner tonight at her place with your cousins."

"Will my mo-"

"Just your aunt and cousins, I swear." He pinky promised.

Every since grade 12, I've had issues with my mom. I haven't talked to her for a year or two and I'm not planning on starting now.

It's a bad attitude, I know. But she brought it upon herself when she:

1) Basically kicked me out just before grade 12 to go live with my aunt and twin cousins because work was too much for her.

2) Gave me no option but to switch schools and drop everything to move.

3) Told me straight to my face she doesn't like my boyfriend.

4) Made no attempt to get a hold of me when I was living with my aunt.

For those reasons, I'm not so keen on seeing her anytime soon.

"Did you say we'd go?" I braided my hair down my back.

"I said I'd ask you what you thought and you'd call her back."

"Thanks for doing so much work." I rolled my eyes at Jesse before grabbing my phone from his hand.

"At least I answered your phone." He shrugged, sitting down beside me on our bed.