Our Big Fat Fight -- Short Story 11

••••••••••••••••

Carmen, answer me!!

Please? I'm sorry.

Answer my calls, dammit!!

Carmen? I'm coming over.

I'm serious.

Answerb me!!!!

Answer**

Carmen, I miss you!!

Babe?

My phone vibrated on the table with each new text. Setting my phone to 'Do Not Disturb', I threw it back towards the couch.

My.. er.. boyfriend who I'm currently not talking to really wants to talk.

Too bad I "don't know where my phone is."

"Honey, Derek's on the phone!" My mom called from upstairs, "Why's he calling the house?"

"Tell him I'm out on a walk!" I yelled back, praying she'd get why he called the house.

"Carmen!" She acted as if I had never answered, "Carmen?"

Thanks, mom.

"I'm sorry, Derek. I guess she went out for a walk. I'll get her to call you when she's back." I heard my mom put the phone down.

I jumped up from my spot on the couch and sprinted for the basement stairs. I knew my mom would want to know what's going on with me and Derek. Hiding in the basement would stall that.

"Carmen Olivia Kress! Don't you dare hide in that basement. Why is your boyfriend calling the house- sounding might I add, extremely anxious- to talk to you and you get me to lie to him. What's going on?" My mom caught me before I could hide.

"Uh, well.. There's not a whole lot to say. We're not talking and he's trying to get a hold of me. That's all."

"That's all?" My mom frowned, "Really? You're ignoring him, Carmen."

"Mom, it's fine. I'll work it out."

"Fine." She turned to go back upstairs, "But he can't be calling the house anymore. I've got work to do, honey."

"Yeah, yeah." I mumbled, shuffling back to the living room to grab my phone.

Come on Carmen! I phoned your house for god's sake!

You're on a walk??

Carmen!!

Please.

Can we please talk??

You turned your phone off? I can't call you.

I'M SORRY, OKAY? DAMMIT CARMEN I WANT TO TALK TO YOU.

I'm sorry!!

I found a bunch of new text messages from Derek.

Mumbling under my breath, I made my way down to the basement-- my sacred hiding spot. I've used it to hide from my problems since I was 15 and I'm not giving it up now at 18.

Whether it's problems with my mom or friends, I come down here to think and calm myself down.

Sitting down on the couch I bought for down here, I thought of what I should do.