Departing Again -- Short Story 29

••••••••••••••••

Waking up to my alarm going off, I rolled over and almost went right off Logan's side of the bed.

Scrambling to grab onto something, I managed to hit my head on the bedside table.

I held my head in one hand while I reached for my phone with the other.

Blinking hard a couple of times to wake myself up, my eyes adjusted to the brightness of my phone screen.

My mind was foggy from not sleeping well. I could not for the life of me remember why I had to wake up early today.

"Gwen? You up?" Logan knocked lightly on our door.

"Getting there." I yawned.

"Okay," He pushed open the door, "I've gotta go in about forty-five minutes."

"Oh shoot!" That woke me up. I jumped out of my bed, pushing past Logan in our doorway.

He's leaving again today for another trip. This time he's going to New Zealand because he's friend won two tickets and invited him.

I didn't want to interfere and go along too; even though Logan almost bought me a ticket anyways. Instead I promised I'd drive him to the airport.

I brushed my hair and teeth, and applied some make-up.

In our closest, I looked everywhere for my favourite shirt, but I couldn't find it. I picked a different one and destroyed our closet looking for a pair of shorts.

"Where's all my clothes?" Frowning, I threw on a pair of skinny jeans and a jacket.

I don't usually notice when my clothes are in the wash, but today seemed different. It looked as if half of my wardrobe was gone.

Pushing away the worry for now, I headed to the kitchen for some breakfast.

Logan was just coming in from outside.

"The car's loaded with my luggage." He set the keys on the counter beside me. "And we don't have to leave for 20 minutes."

I nodded my head. I was feeling sad again about him going away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a super clingy girlfriend or anything. I just like having him around. I mean, I know life goes on and things happen and all. I just like having Logan close.

I cleaned up my mess and grabbed the car keys.

"Logan, you ready?" I put on my shoes. I caught him carrying an extra bag out of our bathroom.

"I forgot some things." He told me as I snatched my purse off the table.

Locking our door, I walked hand-in-hand with Logan to my car.

The ride to the airport was fairly quiet. I'm not a huge talker to begin with, so when you throw me into a sad situation, I don't say anything at all.

"Gwen," Logan caught me wiping my eyes, "It's okay, love."

"I know." I smiled at the silly nickname.

"I won't be gone as long as before." He tried to cheer me up.

"I know that."

"I'll be back before you know it." He smiled, leaning over to give me a kiss on the cheek.

With a small smile on my lips, I continued the drive to the airport.

Once there, Logan told me to park while he ran in with his luggage. He said he'll wait for me inside.