Pictures with Sunshine -- Short Story 31

••••••••••••••••

Fresh out of the shower, I gelled up the front of my hair and sprayed myself with Jessica's favourite smelling cologne.

Today is our 5 year anniversary and I'm taking her out to dinner. It's typical, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

I checked the time before calling Jess. She just got off work for the day.

When she answered, I told her I'd pick her up because I know she looks good anytime of day and wouldn't need to come home after work.

I slipped my wallet and car keys into my dark-coloured jeans pocket, and put on my shoes. I slapped my pockets to check for everything.

Not feeling the most important thing for the night, I ran back to our bedroom.

I breathed a sigh of relief, left the house, and drove to pick up Jessica.

Tonight is going to be exciting.

--------------------

Jessica's POV

Hearing my phone ring, I fished it out of my purse on my way out of work.

"Hey, Eric." I felt a smile creep onto my face.

"Hey, sunshine. How was work?" His nickname for me made my grin grow bigger.

"Great." I pushed open the door of the building, "But I can't wait for dinner."

"The reservation is for 6:20."

"It's 5:15." I shook my head. Eric always believes I don't need to get ready for anything.

"And that's why I'll be picking you up in about 10 minutes."

"Is that why you drove me to work this morning?" I laughed.

"Maybe." Eric chuckled. "I'll see you soon."

"Bye." I hung up, going to take a seat on a bench.

A short 10 minutes later, I saw Eric pull up to the curb. He jumped out at the same time I full on ran to him.

What? It's not everyday he picks me up from work.

Wrapping my arms around his neck, I held tight as he spun me around.

"Well hello to you to, sunshine." Eric laughed into my neck, sending shivers down my back.

Giggling like a little girl, Eric kissed my forehead before setting me back on my feet.

"Ready to go? I've got a surprise for you before dinner."

"Like?" I wagged my eyebrows.

"You'll see." Eric opened the passenger side door for me.

"Why can't you just tell me?"

"Why can't you just like my surprise?" Eric nudged me with his elbow.

On our drive to the surprise, Eric asked me how my day went, I asked how his day off was, and we chatted about our anniversary.

"Remember when we first truly met?" I could see the giant smirk on Eric's face from the corner of my eye.

"How could I forget? You beat me in a game of 21 in front of my friends." He grabbed onto my hand and gave it a squeeze. "And then laughed with them at me."

"I was only joking around. I didn't mean to laugh." I blushed a bright red.

"But if you hadn't of laughed, I wouldn't have started laughing too."