Chapter 27

"Erza. Have a seat, please." Jellal had spoken as he looked onward of the river.

She finally had come around and sat beside the man she had been with all day.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. The light breeze running across their faces, the cold of it painting a slight pink on their cheeks and nose, as they looked upon the water. Both deep in thought about all the happened that day.

"Erza?" Jellal spoke in a friendly, calming tone.

"Yes?"

"Do you really believe you were in love with me?.."

She looked down at the grass at the edge of the cape.

"Deep down, I do. I really believe there was a part of me that was fond of you in a certain time."

He smiled only a little.

"I'm glad you believe that."

Once again, they sat and dozed off.

"Is there anything you could tell, about me that I don't know?.." Erza looked pained as she said this.

"What would you like to know?" He glanced her way.

"My last name..? What is it?"

He held his breath, almost feeling like he was choking, and finally let out her breath.

"Scarlet."

"Scarlet?"

"Yes. Your last name is Scarlet. You won't remember it but, I gave it to you... many.. years ago.."

"You.. did..?" She looked at him and widened her eyes.

"Yes. I did. As children. We were all homeless. Us and a few friends. You explained how you don't have a last name. I took hold of a strand of your hair and finally decided for you. Scarlet. The color of your hair." He smiled and felt his eyes water a little. He remembered that day very clearly.
"Scarlet..." she repeated as she looked down towards the strands of her hair. She felt well.. happy, "I like it."

His heart pounded but also felt warm as she admitted to this.

"I'm extremely glad you do." He turned to her and looked her as she examined the natural color of her locks, "you.. really are beautiful."

She looked at him in the face and took in his expression and the words he had just said. With no other expression, she spoke.

"Thank you."

"I'm sure this is all still weird to you but.. if I were to tell you this in the past, your face would be red. As red as your hair, and you would act.. well... cute.."

She wished she understood what she was like in the past. The way she had acted. She kept silent due to her lack of words after his. Was she happy? Awkward? Confused? She couldn't choose. There was many emotions she could be at the moment.

He kept his eyes on her, he took in all of her. Her face, hair, eyes, body, the way her expressions changed. He paid attention to all of her. He glanced down toward her hand. The way she had been sitting, she needed that hand to prep her up.
Slowly, he inched his fingers closer to her's and held his breath.

"Please to the god's above. I pray she doesn't feel too awkward about this."

He looked up from her hand and to her face and noticed she had changed her view from her hair, to his hand.

He swallowed when he noticed this.
But, she didn't say anything, nor did she move. He noticed this and finally put his hand atop of hers. Looking down, he didn't want to make eye contact with the action he had just done.