24. O Sanctissima

Lysa

He said it. He said he loved me and left me no opportunity to answer back. Not that I would. I have never been told that words, not by my mother, not by the boys that shared my bed, not by anyone. And sure as hell never uttered them myself. And here he is, that beautiful man, that amazing warrior and without fear he said it. How my life has changed these last weeks. How fate has surprised me, giving me things I thought I never wanted. And all the coward me can do is pace, avoiding him.

I need to focus on these fights. I will get out of this unscathed, save Daniel. And when this will all be done, I will stand before Vik, me, just plain me, no masks, no defenses and I will tell him how I feel about him. Till then, the fights are my priority. I am the Cold Bitch.

I stop pacing when I hear the MC talk over the glass. The shit is starting but I am pretty sure that I won't be the first to fight. If I had to guess, Jack is keeping me last and he is pairing me with someone good. 8 of us, I have seen the rooms when the curtain was pulled but other than that I have no idea who is behind them. Still, I can hear what's going on to figure out who I am up against to. The MC says the usual bullshit but I focus on his announcement of the fighters.

"The first fight!" the MC is heard through the glass and curtain. "Please, welcome Kayla the Dark Lighting."

I hiss through my teeth as a DMX song blasts through the arena. I know Kayla. She is as her name describes. A fast fighter with expertise to capoeira. She is lean and tall and when she starts her dancing, she is a whirling of killer kicks.

"Her opponent. The Green Devil, Riona," the MC announces.

"Fuck," I say audibly over some Irish folk song.

Of the fighters I knew before, this one I wished to hear has dropped out. A pure, stone-cold executioner, Riona could have been Rage's twin, red-haired sister. Obviously mentally unstable, with her equally disturbing brother as a trainer – some imply that he is more than that – Riona is a ruthless killer. I have crossed paths once with her and I barely walked out alive. It took me months to recover.

The crowd erupts in loud screams and the fight is on. I am cursing this damn curtain for keeping me from seeing the fight. Never before have I cared to see how the other fighters fared. I was arrogant and challenged fate to throw me its worst. Back then I had only my life to lose. This time there too much at stake. A cry interrupts my thoughts. Kayla, I know. Riona never screams. The noise is frantic and I know blood was spilled. Men are reduced so easily to animals, the sight of blood erupting primal feelings in them.

The fight goes on for a few minutes more. I can't see but I know Kayla is in trouble. I hear her cry out a few times and I know Riona has her bad. The Green Devil just likes to toy with her opponents and is even willing to take a punch to keep the spectacle going. When the guests go ballistic, I know Kayla is down.

"And the winner is Riona, the Green Devil."

"Is that good?" Vik asks.

"It doesn't fucking matter," I snarl.

Music blasts for a while and I hear excited chatter. The rich fucks in Cisco have welcomed Jack's endeavor. After a while, the MC is heard in the arena and I get up from the bed.

"For the second fight of the night we bring you Deadbolt Rosalyn," her trademark Sepultura walkout song makes the arena shake.

"Goddamn it!" I hiss.

"What's wrong, Lys?" Vik demands.

"He has brought the dream team for this," I explain. "Rosalyn is a Cuban judo champion that got in the wrong crowd. She is good."