Wow, Ian commented as we headed back for the house.  You guys have a pretty good bond.  I felt that he had understood everything that happened between the alpha and me through our bond. 

          Yeah, he's one of my favorite alphas of this pack.  He doesn't have an official mate yet, but I have a feeling he will soon.  He's had his eye on one of the wolves in his pack.

          Ian snorted and I could feel his amusement through the bond.  It's so strange to think of them like us. 

          I growled at him.  They are like us, Ian.  They just have less drama because they don't have any conflicts unless someone is fighting for the alpha position.

          I felt remorse come through from Ian.  I didn't mean it like that, Layla, he told me, and stopping so he could face me.  I meant that it's weird to think about them like that because I never have before.  You're the only one that can get close enough to see it.  Thank you for showing it to me today.

          I nuzzled him and said, It's okay, I'm just a little protective of them still.

          He licked my muzzle and said,  I understand.  They helped make you who you are, just as your current pack did.  

*~*

          When we got back to the house, Alice was just putting lunch on the table in the form of homemade chicken noodle soup. It was one of my favorite meals, because she even made the noodles herself.  Nate, Lee, and Xena were sitting at the table already and Jason was right behind us. 

          When we were all seated and had bowls of soup in front of us, Jason asked,  "How did it go with the wolf pack?"

          "It went well," I replied, "but the alpha doesn't know much either.  There was only the two wolves and they chased them out the northern boundary of the woods.  I told him they were trying to take me, not kill me.  And collectively, we all have the same information now."

          Jason frowned.  "I still haven't figured out why anyone would want to kidnap you."

          I smiled at him.  "Neither have I.  I'll just have to be careful for a while."

          He nodded in agreement.  "That you will.  No running unless you have at least two other people with you.  Not just one," he emphasized, "two."

          "That's fine," I told him.  "We normally all run together anyway."

          "Yeah," chimed Lee.  "We'll make sure she doesn't run without us anymore."  Nate and Xena laughed but agreed.  Even Jason smiled at them.

          "Okay, I just want to make sure that you're safe.  I don't want anyone taking you away," Jason explained.

          "Don't worry, Jason!" Nate this time.  "No one will get to her past my bulk!"

          Everyone laughed. 

          "Of that I have no doubt," Jason assured him. 

          "Well, if that's everything, Nate and I want to talk to Ian in private," Lee said. 

          Jason raised his eyebrows.  "I'll just go back to my office then, shall I?"

          Nate nodded.  "If you want."

          Lee pointed at Ian.  "We are going outside for a short walk.  Xena can stay and keep Layla company."