Chapter 21

Marissa's POV

I woke up in the morning feeling happy. I felt an arm around my waist and panicked before I remembered who it was and why it was there. I turned my head to look at Damon's sleeping face.

He looked so young and innocent sleeping. I turned my whole body to face him. I noticed that we were both naked in bed together. I blushed before I turned my attention back to his face.

I reached a hand up and ran it down his cheek. He let out a sigh and leaned into my touch more. I leaned forward and placed a light kiss on his mouth. He stirred as I moved back and opened his eyes. He smiled at me, causing me to return the gesture.

"Morning," he said in his morning voice.

"Morning," I said back to him.

"Best thing to wake up to," he said.

I smiled at him and snuggled closer into him. His arm tightened around my waist.

"Hungry?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Well, let's go get breakfast then," he said.

I untangled myself from him and climbed out of bed. I heard a groan and turned to find Damon staring up at me with lust-filled eyes.

"Now, that's called teasing," he said.

I shrugged and bent down to pick up a discarded t-shirt lying on the floor. I pulled it over my head, pleased to find that it reached past my butt. I walked out of the room, knowing that Damon was behind me.

I walked into the kitchen and went to the fridge. I pulled out eggs and bacon. I placed them on the counter and reached into the cupboard for some pancake batter. I pulled it out and placed it on the counter also.

"Where's the pans?" I asked. "And the bowls?"

"Here," Damon said. I turned to find him holding two skillets and a bowl. I thanked him and placed them on the counter.

As I started cooking, I felt someone come up behind me. I knew it was Damon when he wrapped his arms around my waist. He placed his head on my head and watched me cook.

"Now, that's a good site to see," he mumbled. "I can't wait until there'll be children around here running around."

"Wait," I said. "Let's take this one step at a time, please."

"Sorry," he said. "It's a male wolf thing. They always want to have kids with their mate as soon as they can. But I can wait until you're ready."

"Thank you," I said. "How about we wait until I turn eighteen. Is that okay?"

"That's perfect."

"So, is Jarred dead?"

"Yes, Michael and Alpha Cade killed him last night. I would have been there, but I was preoccupied."

"Sorry."

"No, don't ever be sorry for last night. I much rather have stayed there with you, then gone to Jarred's execution."

"Okay."

"I'm serious."

"And I believe you."

"Good, because I want to tell you something."

"What?" I asked, taking the bacon out of the skillet and putting it in a bowl Damon got out for me.

Damon turned me around and placed his hands on my shoulders. He looked me in the eyes before he spoke.

"I know this may be too soon," he started, "but I don't care. I know that you've been through so much these past couple of days, but I want you to know that I will always be there for you. Whether it's just by holding you, or guiding you through your troubles.

"I've felt this way about you since I first laid eyes on you at the assembly the other day. I want you to know that I love you. Marissa Sage, I love you."

I felt my breath catch in my throat as he said the "L" word. Did I love him, too? Yes, yes I did.

I smiled up at him.

"I love you, too," I said.

He looked shocked for a minute before he grinned at me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and started spinning me around. He set me back down on the ground and kissed the side of my head before kissing my forehead, cheeks and (finally) my lips.

"Aw," three voices rang out. We broke the kiss and turned to find Ellie, Cassie, Livie and Danny standing there. Cassie and Livie had their hands placed over their hearts as they watched us.

"That's so cute," Ellie squealed.

I rolled my eyes at her and turned back to the stove, almost forgetting about the eggs. I heard Damon laugh before he wrapped his arms around my waist once more.

"Oh, Marissa," he said. "I love you."

"I love you, too," I said smiling.