"Yeah, well, this party is for you tomorrow, so if you want to have it, I need you to start chopping those veggies." She waves her literal wand, whatever the thing is called that she's browning the hamburger with, and Bryndle rolls her eyes. I have to seriously stifle a snort with a cough at how bossy Stella is now that her bossiness is being directed at someone else.

"Do you have a problem?" Bryndle asks, directing her question in my direction and I shake my head and shrug. "Good."

I glance over my shoulder at Stella, and I can't help the smile on my face when I see her looking over her shoulder at me too. The only sounds in the kitchen for a while are the cuts on the cutting board and the sizzling of hamburger in her pan. "So what should I be expecting for tomorrow?" I ask, finishing my potatoes and carrying half of them over to Stella. I toss them in the pan and she smiles at me.

"It's the 4th of July! You can expect yard games and firecrackers and lawn chairs and sweet tea and lots and lots of beer and fireworks and little kids waving sparklers and punks and just a whole lot of fun." She answers, stirring her hamburger and potatoes before reaching for a handful of peppers and onions that Bryndle has finished chopping.

"You can't forget swimming!" Bryndle adds with a smile, and I think this is the first time I've seen her smile in the past 24 hours.

"Sounds like I'm in for a fun time. Who all usually comes?" I ask, eating a couple of slices of peppers fresh.

"A few of Dad's second cousins come around and bring their kids and then a lot of our neighbors come. Gemma's entire family usually comes, and a lot of people who Dad is friends with around town." She shrugs, taking the pan off the stove and putting down a hot pad by the sink.

"Does Colt ever come?" I ask, grabbing a fork and stabbing at a potato.

"Not usually. Like I said, I never got along with his brother. You can invite him though. He can even bring Corey if he wants to." She teases, poking my hand with her spatula.

"Okay can you guys like, totally stop flirting and help me with this stuff? I am so not meant for a kitchen." Bryndle asks, slamming her fist that's holding the knife on the table. She startles us both, but Stella quickly hurries over to her. If I'm not mistaken I totally saw a blush on her cheeks. I grin happily to myself before grabbing another forkful of stir-fry.

"Can you go get Dad? Supper's almost ready." Stella asks, avoiding my eyes after she and Bryndle have finished chopping everything and Bryndle heads back to the living room. Stella grabs a loaf of bread from one of the cabinets and pushes me out from in front of the toaster.

"Sure. Where is he?"

"Probably in the shop working on the Case." She answers, and I head out to the shop that sits off to the side of the barn.

"Hey Mr. Hawkley. Stella says supper is almost ready." I relay the information to him as I beat a tune into the hood of the truck that's parked beside the tractor he's working on. He rolls out from under the tractor and sits up, wiping his hands on an oily rag before pushing himself to his feet.

"I hope the house smells like all different kinds of food for tomorrow." He smiles, clapping my shoulder as we walk back towards the house, before he stops me. "I just want you to know that I really like you, son. I wouldn't want to have to hurt you if you hurt her."

It takes a second for his words to sink in, but when they do I immediately start protesting. "No, no, sir. Nothing is going on between me and Stella. I'd never do anything to betray your trust. I actually like it here, and I need this job." I could have continued, but Mr. Hawkley chuckles and cuts me off.