Chapter 4 - New Home

Start from the beginning

I assume that I had walked for less than an hour when I came across another village with similar wood buildings with thatch roofs. However, it was bigger compared to the first village I had seen and had a barricade around it constructed of thick logs. It also had what looked like a castle constructed on slightly elevated ground on the far end of the village with long flags fluttering in the light breeze. I frowned, clearly not amused by what was going on. This couldn't be a trick, could it? It was too detailed and spread over too vast of an area. Had I been teleported to the past or another dimension? That seemed to be the only explanation now – though I doubt I was in a different dimension and merely in the mystical demon-filled past of Japan.

Since it was late, I decided to find an inn in the village where I could stay for the night. I was really eager to get some sleep and rest my exhausted body after the long day's happenings. I could think more about this world and what was going on after some rest for my mind and body.

Just as I stepped close to the barricade walls, I noticed two men wearing traditional armor guarding the gated entrance of the village. There were several walking through the streets of the village and about three riding horses and scouting the village streets. I was quite sure that they were imperial guards because they had the same crest as the one on the big fancy flags of the castle on their armor sleeves. They all carried spears and katanas at their waists too.

I wondered for a moment if they would stop me, an outsider, and question me about who I am and as to why I had come to their village. Judging from what I remember reading in History in school as well as in Archeology, I was sure that security was going to be really strict. I wasn't looking forward to being interrogated by them or asked to leave because I looked suspicious. I just thought I would go ahead and see how things worked out instead of worrying about what would or wouldn't happen.

The guards at the entrance stopped me just as I had expected, pointing their spears at me and giving me sharp glares.

"Who are you? What business do you have coming here?" One of them asked sounding stern.

I didn't get a chance to answer them though. I tensed slightly feeling a violent rumble through the ground. I glanced at my feet for a moment before looking ahead to where I thought the epicenter of the tremor was. I could sense a strange aura settle around one part of the village and somehow, it was very similar to Sesshomaru's, the wolf guy's and even Naraku's.

"Oi! We asked you a question! You better not be a demon!" The second guy barked.

"I'm not a demon....but I think you should be more worried about the tremor that just radiated from inside your village." I said calmly, still looking ahead.

"Tremor? What are you...?"

Even before he could complete his question, the tremors got worse and one of the houses on the other side of the village was destroyed with thick debris flying in the air. In less than a minute, the village was filled with screams of terror as the villagers ran away from a huge rat demon that had made its way into the village from its underground burrow.

Yes, I did say rat demon. After seeing this village, the fancy castle with the imperial guards and the gore sight of the overgrown mutated rat with red eyes eating the people, I was convinced that I was, in fact, in the Feudal Era of Japan. And seeing demons, killing them even, wouldn't be an uncommon sight for a while.

I shook my head with a sigh knowing very well that just as I used to do in Tokyo, I would have to step into the fight to protect these people. The demon was clearly overpowering and it was going to require someone much more than just ordinary to take it out. I couldn't use my powers though, not when there were so many to witness it. But that wasn't a problem because there were many other options visible as the moment. I looked at the guards who now looked terrified of the rat demon that was wrecking their village and a very small smile tugged at my lips when I glimpsed at the katana that one of them had tied to his waist sash.