3.6 | First Step

Start bij het begin

Payal assumed I was reading the article and thus commented, "It's beautifully written, isn't it?"

"Yeah," I said, not pointing out that I hadn't read it.

"I can't wait till the images are uploaded online. The whole thing has come out so perfectly, no kidding. And, I am not being biased towards you because I like you and all. I think if you asked Ms. Raizada, even she would say that the designs for this year were different and refreshing compared to all the others. Oh, that reminds me, I meant to ask. Your dress last night, girl! It was breathtaking. Where'd you buy it from?"

"Hmm?" I blinked away from the paper to realize she had been talking the whole time. Great, I'm a terrible friend. Quickly recalling the last of her words, I replied, "Oh, I actually designed it a couple years back."

"Really? So weird. I was thinking it might have been AR's only. Something they might have let you borrow from the catalogue."

"Why would you think that?"

"The small details, ofcourse. It's so Ms. Raizada's style."

Uh... busted? Quick brain, what do I say? I can't very well admit that Anjali di indeed completed the design. "Glad you noticed! You know, it was actually inspired from her earlier work. I thought yesterday was the perfect occasion to wear it, right?"

She grinned back, approving. "Smart thinking."

I exhaled in relief. Crisis averted.

Nope. I spoke too soon.

"Where'd you disappear off to last night, by the way? I was looking for you after the show. We went out to celebrate but couldn't find you."

"I was beat, girl. I ended up leaving with my brother."

If Arnav hears this... But it's not technically a lie, right? We all did leave the venue at the same time. We just went different ways in the parking lot.

She sighed dreamily at his mention, "Lucky! I still can't believe the Armaan Gupta is your brother."

I pinched her simply because.

"Ow!" She exclaimed, standing alert on her feet rather than leaning on my desk.

"Believe it then, sister," I said. "And enough chit-chat. We've got a lot to write up before Aman gets us busy in another project."

She exhaled, "You just had to bring it up. Unfair, you know? Can't even get a day off after months of hard work."

I chuckled at her dramatics, "Woman, you love your job. Quit cribbing. And if that still doesn't help, let me remind you what Anjali Raizada said last night about getting back to designing."

She stood taller if possible in excitement. "You're right. It's only going to get better from here on out."

I smiled for her. Eventually she would find out my connection to Anjali and Arnav Raizada, yes, but for now, I wanted to be happy for her excitement. I just picked this as my major because it was something I was remotely good at. It sort of came naturally to me. But, for her, she was truly passionate over designing and Anjali was basically her idol.

People say, never meet your idols if you don't want to be disappointed. But, in this case, I think she'll be on cloud nine for Anjali di is a different one altogether. She inspires others unlike any other because she has a vision to share with the world and she does it in her own unique way while holding on to her warmth and humble nature. Sometimes, I believe, the qualities in her outshine her talent. Or, rather, her qualities may be the reason why her talent shines through even brighter.