Chapter 31

Soren 

     "Where are we going, Siren?" Her angelic voice questioned as they left their room. It was the kind of voice that calmed the most violent demons in hell, one he could listen to on repeat.

     It was her voice, her reluctant smile, and those otherworldly blue eyes that kept him from falling into the abyss of doubt. 

     So much had changed within a week's time. Zyhed killed Inferno who was then resurrected by Annika. Elexa stabbed Matteo. Might Empire now looked to Soren as a leader. And his father had yet to be found, meaning they were in constant peril. 

     Somehow, with thoughts of her storm-blue eyes in continuous motion, Soren managed to remain level-headed. 

     Now that Annika was conscious and moving, things did not seem as impossible. 

     Matteo had finally awoken some days after Annika. "Matteo, my brother." 

     She gasped. "Oh no, I'm terrible! I can't believe I didn't remember! I'm so sorry, Siren. I selfishly only thought of Inferno, please forgive me?" 

     Soren sighed and settled his arm around her shoulders, holding her close. "If there is one thing I know, it is that nothing can kill my siblings. As we grew up, there were many situations where we experienced a diverse choice of lethal injuries: poison, burn wounds, stab wounds, drowning. Once, Zyhed had been so afraid of Matteo when he was a child that he had hung my little brother." Soren could see it so vividly. 

     Matteo had yet another nightmare, and his powers reacted as though he were truly being attacked. No one was hurt, but Zyhed was through with the inconvenience of his youngest son. So he tried to kill him.

     "He hung his own boy?" Annika sounded outraged. There was much worse things, which is why Soren never flinched at retelling most stories. All these things did not include Malani's atrocious actions towards her brothers.

     Soren nodded. "But Matteo, even at five, saved himself by snapping the rope around his throat off. Thank God his neck didn't snap." He was sure the scar around his neck was still visible. 

     "The Devil should take a break and let Zyhed take over for a while," Annika responded with a frown. 

     Soren pecked her on the cheek, lingering. "That is true, though I rather he burned in hell than rule it. Knowing him, he would find a way to even rule the underworld." 

     "All because of what?" She shook her head. "Greed for power? For treasure? For land? All physical things and none worth losing ourselves over. It's horrible, the influence greed has on us. That's all people want: more. When is more going to be enough, Siren?" 

     "As soon as they come to the realization you have, wise woman." He smiled at her brilliant mind. Yes, books helped create and boost intelligence, but it did not represent all forms of wit. Annika was a prime example. With a short education, she could still give better advice than most pedantic.

     "Let us hope it happens sooner than later," she grumbled, leaning her head against his shoulder. His blood was constantly hot for his woman, needing the touch of her, the feel of her silken skin brushing against his. 

     To watch her gasp in titillation was paradise. To bring her to an unrelenting passion was euphoric. Anything to please her was all he desired. 

     Even then, as they strolled, he felt the burning in him to claim Annika in everyway until her body was was trembling, begging for his touch always.