Chapter 2

CARLOS

I sat on my bed, thinking about the new town I just moved to. Night Vale, a vast desert town that has many secrets that need to be solved.

The glowing cloud raining down dead animals on the town. The dog park that nobody can enter to the best of my knowledge. The clock tower.

And why was there a grocery store only in Desert Bluffs?

I rolled over off my bed and looked out of my window, seeing a boy with very cute spiked blond hair- wait, did I really say cute?

A rock flew through my open window and hit me straight into the head, making me say "Ow!" really loud. The blond-haired boy turned to the window and I ducked down.

I heard the boy kick down the front door, and all I can think is was that really necessary?

"Hello? Is anyone in here?" the boy called out, and his voice cracked almost every syllable. I actually found it cute. But I have had a few girlfriends before, and currently I'm trying to hold up a long-distance relationship with a girl named Irene. I don't like boys, and even if I did, I have a girlfriend.

Apparently he didn't see me from my spot in the doorway, because he started shouting again. "Is somebody pulling a prank on me? Is that you, Steve Carlsberg? I bet it is, I'm going to geT YOU, STEEEEEVE!!!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" I said, stepping into the living room, catching my breath when I saw him.

He looked about 16, about my age. His short, spiked blond hair hid a pair of white headphones, and he had nice black glasses that magnified violent purple eyes. He wore a vest with a striped tie, and crawling up his arms were violet tattoos depicting strange symbols and... tentacles? On his forehead was an eye tattooed onto him.

"Um, aren't you a little too young for tattoos?" I asked him, mentally tracing the patterns. They looked like they would've been painful to be put on him.

He smiled and answered me. "No. I got them when i was a baby, because my mother said it would be the perfect defiance against my father." I sighed, thinking of my parents in Desert Bluffs, buying their groceries.

I let the thought slip away in order to reply. "Oh. I'm Carlos, by the way. What's your name?" I reached out a hand for him to shake.

"I'm Cecil, Cecil Palmer. I'm going to make a guess and say you're new?" What a nice name, and it sounded familiar. Like, 'on the front page' familiar. Palmer, Palmer...

"Yeah, yeah. But Palmer? Wow, did you know your dad has been looking for you and your mom for years now?"

"Really? My mother says he died so we moved out here. Oh well, perfect Carlos, I really have to go. See you tomorrow!" He said, running out of my kicked-down door.

Wait, did he call me perfect Carlos?