Chapter 15

•C H A P T E R 15•
"LIKE A FATHER"

"Order up!" Rosalie called to the servers while placing the plate onto the counter. With an exhausted sigh, she turns to Michel with a small smile on her lips.

Seeing the relief on her face, the older man releases a chuckle, "Good thing that was the last meal, you look dead on your feet! Have you been getting enough sleep?"

Fanning her face in the heated kitchen, she shakes her head and smiles guiltily when he sends her a stern look. The kind of look her father would give her when she did something that made him worried.

"I know, it's not good for the baby but believe me, I tried to go to sleep. I just have so much running through my mind," Rose explains with a wince as she feels a headache coming. She could feel the worry and concern radiating from her boss. Her eyes slip close for a second to try and ease the pain in her head. Suddenly, she feels a hand grab hers and her eyes flash open to find Michel leading her out of the kitchen.

Her mouth opens to question him, however, she stays silent when she notices they're heading to a table. A smile slips onto her lips as he pulls a seat out and makes her take a seat, "Thanks boss."

A chuckle escapes the older man's lips as he takes the seat across from her.

Rose lets her body relax and mold into the cushioned chair. However, looking up at Michel's face, she knows he has questions for her.

"Rosalie, what's been stressing you out so much? You look like you haven't slept for days and like the world is sitting on your shoulder's." He finally says after scrutinizing her appearance for a few moments. Her body tenses up again and she straightens her body up from it's slouched position. She understands that he is concerned for her but she really wished that he wouldn't have brought it up.

Deciding not to avoid the question and just open up, all her worries and emotions just come spilling out in that moment. It felt like she was sitting in front of her father again. The one man who could make her open up about anything and everything.

"Its just everything that's been happening I suppose. I finalized my divorce with Nathan, and I don't regret it but it doesn't mean I'm still not hurting. I'm worried about my baby and praying that this pregnancy will go smoothly and he will be born healthy and strong. I've been missing my family like crazy; just wishing they could be here to help me through it all."

Noticing how her last words could be a little hurtful and ungrateful, she quickly explains,"Not that I'm not thankful for all the people who have been here, like Mila and you. But, I just can't help but think about, and miss, the days my mom and dad were here. It just reminds me of how much easier they made dealing with hard times."

A sad smile spread across her lips as she pictured her father in her head.

Michel smiled and watch her reminisce about her family. It was nice to see her look content for once, even if only for a moment. Most people would wonder why he even cared, but he saw potential in the young woman before him.

He had a gut feeling that by giving her this chance, she could be something great--perhaps even greater than the great chef himself.

Leaning over, he grasped both her hands in his and told her softly, "Losing family, especially your parents, is one of the hardest pains to bear. And although it is not the same, just know that you do have people standing beside you and who genuinely love you. I may not be able to eat ice cream and cry over romance movies like Mila, but I do believe I am a good listener."

Rose releases a laugh while shaking her head at his silliness. His humor was certainly comforting, and as she sat in front of him, she didn't want to be anywhere else. For as long as she could remember, her life was as lonely as being trapped between 4 walls. However, God has been revealing to her that she hasn't been alone at all. She had Mila, Candice, Madea, and now she even had Michelangelo.