Chapter 4

•C H A P T E R 4•
"BROKEN VOWS"

She's gone. Those are the only two words that are ringing through my head. The love of my life left me and she had every right to. My wife, my Rosie gave me all her love but I took advantage of that and hurt her. I sat in our living room, rocking back and forth, crying like a baby. If this is the pain I'm feeling right now, I cannot even imagine what she felt when I hurt her.

My eyes spot a broken picture on the floor and I carefully crawl to it, avoiding all the broken glass. I pick it up and immediately my eyes begin to water. It was a picture of us on our wedding day. It felt just like yesterday when we first met, towards the end of summer in 2009.

When I first laid eyes on her, I just knew that one day she would become my wife.

And the day we finally got married was the best day of my life, it was the day I could officially call her mine.

. . . .

"Nathan? Nathan, sweetheart.." My mothers worried voice had called out. My eyes snap away from the mirror to meet the eyes of my frantic mom.

"What? What's wrong?" I immediately ask as I turn to face her. Her chest is moving up and down quite quickly and my mind is on alert. Is she gonna have a heart attack? A stroke?!

She finally takes in a deep breath and answers me. "Sweetheart, Rosalie.. She ran away."

My world stopped spinning right there and then. She-- she left, why? Did she not want to marry me?

"W--what? Why, why did she leave?" I ask as a gut wrenching pain filled my heart. My mom moved forward and pulled me into a tight hug.

"She's afraid son.. Everyone she has ever loved, is gone. You need to go, go and find her." Her words fueled a spark in me and I immediately run out of the dressing room to get the love of my life.

'Where could she be?' I ask myself. Her favorite place to go when she needs to think is.. The beach! I hop in my car and race towards the beach that is always empty. Its her favorite place to just sit and think, I know I'll find her there.

I drove as fast I could, nearly breaking the speed limit but I paid no mind. Finally, I reached my destination and breathed in relief when I saw a figure sitting on the sand. My door swung open and quickly stepped out of the car before taking reluctant steps towards my fiancée.

She must have felt my presence as she spoke up, "I'm sorry Nathan." I could hear the change in her voice and noted that she was crying. My heart nearly broke knowing that the love of my life was hurting. I sat beside her and wrapped my arms around her petite body.

"Shh, its alright love." I whisper and then she suddenly pushes me away.

"No! No, it--its not Nathan. I love you, god I love you so much. But I'm so afraid.." She cries as I stare at her in confusion. By now we are both standing and must look like a mess. "I have no family and haven't had anyone for a very long time. Its hard for me to accept that soon you'll be my family.."

I grab a hold of her chin and face her towards me, "I know this is hard for you but I promise that I will always be here for you. They may not be here physically, I know they're watching over you. And I know that they would be so proud of how strong and brave you are. And I know they'd be happy to witness you begin a family of your own."

Tears are falling down her rosy cheeks and I use my thumbs to wipe them away. I lean forward and place a gentle kiss on her soft lips, "So please, can we go and get married because I can't stand the thought of you not being my wife."

And with a smile and a nod from her, my life was complete.

. . . .

I never thought that just two words would make me the happiest man alive. Rose gave me a life worth living but in return I broke her heart. I just wish there was some way I could fix it all.

I love my wife and I always will.

I just hope she will give me a chance to earn her forgiveness...

C O M M E N T

V O T E

F O L L O W