A Real Family

Kris slammed the door behind him, so hard it made the walls and everything on them tremble. Y/N tried not to cry, as she sat there on the couch staring at the door, hoping that maybe it would open, maybe he would change his mind. They had never had a fight like this before, Kris was so angry, how could Y/N say such a thing to him? She regret it the instant the words left her mouth. "Baek" she though, what if he had heard? she didn't mean what she said, even though she was technically right. Y/N got up from the couch, when she turned around, Baekhyun was already standing in the door way, she could tell he was trying not to cry.

"Baekhyun..." Y/N half whispered.

"How could you say that to him?" his voice cracked, it made Y/N's heart shiver.

"..."

"After everything we've been through," tears started dripping down his face, "how could you say that to him?"

"Baek I didn't mean it."

Baekhyun was half sobbing half yelling now,

"You're wrong! You couldn't be more wrong. How could this not feel real to you?"

Y/N looked down, she was crying now, even though she felt like she had no right to cry, she was clearly in the wrong. "we aren't a real family," she had said to Kris, just the thought of how his eyes filled with rage and pain ran shivers down her spine, and made her cry even more.

Years ago Baekhyun's parents died in a car accident in central Seoul. Kris, although he was only one year older than Baek, took him under his wing. They did everything together, they talked about everything, Kris protected Baek from the cruelty that was this world. In 2016 when the EXOrdium tour was about to start, Y/N had just applied to every place that offered some sort position for a makeup artist. She hadn't expected SM to respond. She had to do makeup on one of the members as a test run, Kris. Y/N got to touch and feel all the details of Kris' face, to study the exact shape of his eyes, the perfectly imperfect symmetry of his eyebrows, the shape of lips. He was ethereal. That's where is all began, the infatuation, what at one point they thought was love.

To think Y/N was standing here now, watching what seemed to be a dream go up in flames.