Chapter seventeen

I lie in my nest, my breath coming in short, quick rasps. Tonight was the battle. Lives were at my paws. I was to lead the rebel cats against the tyrants. The rebels ate, then came to me.
   "When do we fight?" Mudbelly asked. I relaxed, things will be fine.
   "Once Cherryblossom and Honeyleaf come back from their meal," I meow. Honeyleaf walks in.
   "Are we going?" She meows.
   "No. We will wait for Cherryblossom," I meow. We crowd the entrance, waiting for our friend. At last! She walks up to us, joining the crowd. I tell I few of us to go outside camp and wait. They will be a new wave of warriors, to help the ones who have already been battered. Once they have reached their places, I let out a battle screech.
   "ATTACK!" I yowl. My warriors stream from the den, as I lead them to the battle. Some of them screech as well. I bound over to Silverstar, leaping at him.
   "We won't be pushed around any longer!" I growl as I pin him down. He claws my belly, warm blood coats my fur. I bite his front paw. I feel warm, sticky, liquid in my mouth. He yowls in pain. He pushes me off. I shake myself, drops of blood flying. Silverstar is holding his paw in the air. I bit deep, like Antpaw did. I push that thought away. I dive for his belly, flipping on my back, I claw his soft underbelly. He pins my tail and bites it. I jump on his back, making him let go of my tail. I dig my claws into his muscle. I retract my claws. I wrap my legs around his, sweeping them out from underneath him. He lands with a thud.
    I quickly pull them out, and dig them back into his skin. He tries to shake me off with no avail. I stick to him like half-dried mud. He flips over, landing on his back. I'm squashed beneath him, fur covers my nose. I  wonder what he'd do if I pretend he suffocated me? I violently thrash, clawing him, then go completely still. He stays on me for no more than a heartbeat. I lie there, pretending to be dead. When he comes and sniffs at me, I claw his nose. Well, try to claw his nose, my paw is to high. My claws rake his eye, puncturing the soft tissue. He screams, blood wells on his face.
   "I can't see!" He yowls. I jumps to where I stand. I quickly move, he lands in the dust. I take advantage of his weakness, jumping on his back. I dig my claws into his spine, and bite his neck. He tries to scream, but all that comes out is a hair-raising gurgle. He slumps to the ground, blood pooling around his neck, staining his fur crimson. I bow my head in sorrow. It didn't have to be this way.
   I drag his body to speaking stones. I grasp his lifeless body, holding it up for all to see. The battle's over.