Chapter seven

The nursery was finished. It was big enough to fit the whole clan in it. They probably made it so big to fit future queens, as well as the current ones. Silverstar just called a meeting, but only for the queens.
"I will be choosing my mates. You can all have other mates, and can have kits with all. Make a line so I can choose the right ones," he meows. We comply, not wanting to get swatted. He goes down the line, inspecting us all. He makes little comments, like "to short," "to small," "to fat," "good waist," "good color," "nice length," and so forth. He told which ones were his chosen mates as he assessed them. He finally came to me, at the other end of the line than when he started.
"You'll grow, so you will be a good length. Your coat will produce good looking kits, so yes, you'll be one of the chosen," he meowed. No! Not me! "Let's see, you need your queen name, so... it'll be Dreamfrost," he adds. Then he moves down the line to Icepaw and Moonpaw.
"Both of you are too shy. Our offspring would most likely be that way as well, and I want my toms to be strong and brave. So, no. I won't have either one," he says. Icepaw looks happy, but Moonpaw looks slightly sad. I suppose this is more or less a game to some of the queens. The queens that were not chosen go back to the nursery or to find a mate. The chosen ones gather to share the comments that they got. The chosen were: Rosegold, Bubblewish, Ebonyclaw, Dapplelight, Frecklewish, Poppycloud, Blueshadow, Cloverleaf, Sageleaf, Peacockwing, Honeyleaf, Tigereyes, Whitesnake, and me, Dreamfrost. I stayed away from the chosen queens, and, instead, headed over to Mudpaw.
"Guess what?" I asked.
"What? Did that awful being chose you?" He asked.
"Sadly, yes, but, I got my name before you," I said teasingly.
"What is it? Is it Dreamflower? Or Dreamheart? Or-" I cut him off.
"No, it's Dreamfrost," I said.
"That's lovely, it least he did something right," he purrs, twining his tail in mine.
"Let's go on a walk, to celebrate. Silverstar won't mind, he'll just be glad that we are mates. He'll probably think, more kits!" I say. Mudpaw nods.
As soon as we are out of camp I start to run.
"Catch me if you can!" I yowl playfully. I can feel his breath on my tail tip. We run for a while, Mudpaw chasing me. I stop suddenly, sending Mudpaw stumbling to avoid me. He rolls to the side, a see my chance and pounce, my claws sheathed. We tussle for a moment. He comes out victorious. I'm splayed out, like a frog, on my stomach, Mudpaw pinning me down.
"Give in?" He growls, he meow filled with amusement and fake aggression.
"Yes," I say, letting my muscles relax. He gets off of me. As soon as he's off, I spring to my paws and tackle him, pining him down.
"Aw, no fair! You faked defeat," he complains in fake annoyment. I start to lick his ear, grooming his ruffled fur. We groom each other for a while before we start to head back. We race each other to camp. Mudpaw wining. The camp was starting to slow down for the night. We share a rabbit, then go our separate ways. I curl up in my nice big nest. I had it extra padded and made extra big for when I have kits. I drift into sleep, Mudpaw's warm scent lingering.