Chapter 00: Night of Devasation

UNEDITED

Getting up after practice is like carrying a huge sack of rice on your shoulders for the whole morning and afternoon. It may look easy but I’m telling you from experience—it’s definitely not.

I’ve been lying here on the floor for a while now. Practice ended early so I can still lie on the newly polished floor and let my muscles rest. Coach made us go to school early on a freaking SATURDAY. And we ended around six in the evening. Usually our practice ends around nine but I think his baby is due today so he decided to end up practice a little bit earlier for today.

Not that I’m complaining.

“Whew! Coach Derek sure wants us to win. Look at us, we look lifeless.” Shawn exclaimed as she got up from the floor, still breathing heavily from our workout. She tried walking but her knees eventually gave up so she sat on the bench.

“Doesn’t he always want to be the champ?” Leslie muttered, while sitting next to me. “Just look at me, I look like a gorilla thanks to his so called secret training!”

Leslie is the team’s post player. Being a post player, coach specially designed an exercise for her arms to become longer and slightly bigger. She always complains about her arms but trust me, she is a beast whenever our enemies try to shoot in that ring.

Don’t tell her that I told you, ‘kay? I don’t want to feel the wrath of those huge arms of hers.

“We can’t blame him guys. He did won that cup back when he was younger right?” I asked.

Febs apparently just came out of the shower room scoffed. “He already got the cup before, now he wants another cup again?!”

“Don’t worry girls,” Lea assured us after she got to sip from her water bottle. “I’ll give him one, I’ll give him a plastic cup if he wants more.”

We all erupted into laughter but shortly stopped after someone loudly coughed.

“Excuse me.” Cherry coughed. “Give him a break guys. Don’t all coaches want their teams to win?”

“Excuse me,” Lea said in a bad imitation of Cherry’s voice. “Give him a break gals. Don’t all coaches just love their star players?”

I actually laughed at Lea’s bad joke. I’m not hating on Cherry but sometimes that bossy star player does get on my nerves. Like this one time when she accidentally shoved me to the wall in the school’s corridor. All of the students passing by laughed. I felt betrayed. I thought she would treat me like a real friend not some disposable servant.

Well apparently all of my teammates received a little bullying or two from Cherry so we have a mutual understanding about our disapproval of Cherry. The only reason why she’s still not quitting the team because her boyfriend prefers basketball girls.

By the way, the guy she calls as her boyfriend is technically not her boyfriend—yet. Or so she gossips to us.

“Well,” Cherry said in that annoying voice. Both of her hands are on her hips. Oh no, she’s in annoying girl position again. “, you’re just sooo jealous of me getting all the fame aren’t you little plastic cup boobs?”

Lea’s cheeks turned into a dark shade of scarlet. After gathering her confidence again she replied in a very harsh tone. “Why would I be jealous of a plastic bitch like you?”

Now it’s Cherry’s turn to look like a tomato. “You trying to fight me pathetic loser?”

She faced Cherry and looked at her eye to eye. I gulped, I don’t like the feeling of this. “Why would I be a loser? At least I got a humble and loyal boyfriend unlike your fake ass—“