Chapter 50

Note: Posted early in honor of Avi's birthday! Happy Birthday you infuriatingly beautiful man!

Warning: This chapter contains some gore. Proceed with caution.

______

The five of them stood outside of the house, the siblings in front, poised aggressively, Avi with a knife he’d procured from a house along the way and Esther with her pole. Launa stood just behind them with her stiletto, leaving Scott and Mitch to attempt to look menacing with naught but pans.

The boy at the end of the walkway looked a little bewildered, but more confused than anything else. “Look, I didn’t mean to startle you guys,” he said, raising his hands defensively, “I was just wandering around, and then that guy,” he pointed at Mitch, who gripped the handle of his pan a little tighter, “came out. All I did was say hello!”

Avi and Esther shared a quick glance before turning their eyes to the other three, seeming to ask ‘what do you think? Friend?’ Launa and the siblings slowly released their aggressive stance, easing into a more relaxed state, the boys seeming to cling to their pans even harder.

"If you’re all headed to the coast," the kid continued, "This highway is blocked off. There was a landslide from that last quake. I can take you around, if you like- my settlement is over where Banning used to be."

The five of them exchanged looks and shrugs before turning back to face him. “Alright,” Esther answered, “Lead the way, I suppose, since we’re all headed in that direction.”

______

The kid, whose name was Henry, had kindly offered to carry some bags, but was politely declined. “There is no way he’s touching our stuff,” Avi grumbled under his breath, hoisting bags on his shoulders, as Scott had insisted on trying to walk, again. After quickly searching the house for supplies, they set off, with the young man in front and leading the way.

It didn’t take long until, sure enough, they came upon a landslide that blocked off the main road, forcing them to go around to get to Banning. “At least he told the truth about that,” Mitch murmured as he helped Scott along, “Also-“

"-dat ass."

"Oh, yeah."

Esther smacked Mitch lightly in the shoulder. “Quit it!,” she scolded, whispering harshly, “He’s just a kid.”

"Oh, I beg to differ," the black-haired young man replied, suddenly raising his voice, "Hey, Henry?"

The guy in question turned to walk backwards, giving him a charming smile. “Yeah?”

"How old are you?"

"I’m 22," he said, starting to smirk, "Why?"

Mitch shot him a little smile. “Just wondering,” as Henry swung back around to walk forward, Esther’s mouth dropped open as the boys stopped to dance a little in silent victory.

Launa and Avi stared at the scene with raised eyebrows as they passed Mitch and Scott’s flailing. “Do I wanna know?” she asked.

"No, probably not," the older woman sighed, biffing both boys on the back to urge them forward, "Come on, guys. Get your minds out of your pants."

______

They rounded the corner around the pile of dirt, boulders, and general, natural debris around midday, their eyes widening as a settlement came into view. Henry hadn’t been lying- there was definitely a lot of people, from what they could see. Launa slipped her hand into Avi’s, suddenly horribly nervous as he squeezed her hand gently, trying to be reassuring. “This is really nerve-wracking,” she said, her voice low enough so that only he could hear.