t w o

I R A C E B E T H

I tread slowly to the courtroom, down the stairs, and walked up to my throne, and seated myself comfortably. I beamed a smile at everyone at the courtroom, and I found my courtiers smile back at me meekly. Sometimes, I never get these people, they're so terrified of me.

I summoned the last courtier seated and he stood up abruptly and walked towards the front and bowed. Then he picked up the scroll lying on the table next to my throne and read it out.

"Upon the day the moon doesn't fall, a suspicious accident shall bring an age of change.."

My blood boiled. That one wretched courtier, he suggested I take a walk on a moonless night to clear my head. If only I hadn't gone, this prophecy wouldn't have existed today. Even after getting him beheaded, my rage kindles over again even today.

"When the day comes that the sky erupts, the banished one shall bring an era of sorrow.."

I do not believe in banishment. You commit a mistake, you get the dungeons, or your head shall fly. This part of the prophecy makes no sense to me.

"As soon as the sky turns to ice, it shall bring a vicious war..."

My nostrils flared. What war have I not won? Anyone who dares to even wage a war against the Red Queen has lost the battle already.

"When the sky is thick with water, a strengthening of bonds shall tend to an era of death..."

I took a deep breath. "Whatever the number of deaths it may be. My men will do anything for their queen." I told myself.

"It shall be the death of soft red hues and those who shall stay by its side..."

Someone dares to state my death. Whoever that wretched soul maybe, he shall perish.

I nodded and stretched my hands for the scroll. He walked up to the throne and got down on his knees and bent his head and stretched out his palms with the scroll. I picked the scroll up and rolled it out and scanned it with my eyes.

I ran my eyes across, and anger surged its way through.

I tore the scroll apart and kicked the courtier seated in front of me, who let out a small whine, and got back to his original position.

"SOMEONE HAS CHANGED THE SCROLL." I yelled. I got off my throne and walked a little past and paced the courtroom.

"It was one of you, right?" I asked. All the courtiers started to sweat but none of them spoke up. "OF COURSE IT WAS ONE OF YOU!"

All the courtiers jerked off their seats, but still no one spoke. I walked up to my throne and bent down to the courtier who read out the scroll. He was still on his knees with his head bent down.

I grabbed tufts of his hair and lifted his head up. "It was you, wasn't it?" I whispered to his face.

"No, your Highness. I swear it wasn't me." he begged.

"IT WAS YOU!" I yelled.

"You think I'm dumb? Tried changing the scroll, when reading it, huh? THOUGHT I WOULDN'T NOTICE, DIDN'T YOU?" I yelled grabbing more tufts of hair with my other hand and lulling his head in anger.

"No, your Highness. Please, it wasn't me." he begged.

I noticed specks of tears on his face. I couldn't tell if they were from me pulling his hair, or from confronting him, but he was on the verge of breaking down.

"Who told you to do this?" I whispered, grabbing harder at his hairs.

"Nobody, your Highness."

"So you're the one who held me hostage for eleven days in that old barn?"

"No, your Hi-"

"You're the one who planned everything so methodically! You made that courtier suggest I go on a walk, abducted me and- OH MY GOD! Everything fits so perfectly. You're the one that made that prophecy happen!" I yelled grabbing harder and harder at his hair in anger.

"PLEASE! NO, I DID NONE OF THAT!" he yelled in pain.

I let go of his hair and sat on my throne. Tufts of his hair fell out on the floor. He was in tears now. I dusted my hands in disgust to brush off the hair.

I took a deep breath. Then it struck me. This courtier was employed only two moons ago. He was new to the court.

This had happened to me 7665 moons ago. There was no way he could have known about what happened itself, forget him doing that to me.

I grit my teeth. Then who had done this? I exhaled deeply and gained my composure.

"Shave his head and throw him to the dungeons!" I ordered pointing to the courtier, who was now weeping at my feet.

He was dragged away, as I thought about who could have replaced the scroll.

There was no way anyone could have entered without the soldiers knowing, unless it was a soldier himself. But, it couldn't be the soldiers. They get checked by the Commander- in- chief before they leave the palace premises. It wouldn't be the Commander- in- Chief either, because that would be my daughter.

I took a deep breath and summoned a soldier. He walked up to the front of the courtroom and bowed.

"Bring Cyril here." I ordered

"Yes ma'am." he said and bowed as he left to bring her here.

After a few seconds, my daughter walked in.

"Come beautiful." I said embracing her.

"You called me?" mouthed Cyril, bored.

"Strip that bored look of your face, girl!"

"Sure, what's it, just tell me already!" she rolled her eyes.

I pointed to the torn up scroll at the floor.

"What? You got mad and tore it up? You want me to fix it?" she asked raising one eyebrow.

"It's a fake. Someone replaced it with the original." i explained.

Her eyes grew big in wonder. "I can assure you! I didn't take it." she protested.

"Did you check the soldiers last night before leaving the premises?"

"Yes, I did!" she yelled throwing her arms up in the air in frustration.

"Then it's confirmed. It's the Mad Hatter. He's the only one who can still do magic."

"Well, the Queen of Hearts could do magic too!"

"Yes, but didn't we get it off with her head too?" I chuckled.

Cyril let out a small snort and asked, "But what if she's resurrected?"

"Did you even pay attention during History of magic class? Didn't you read that the Queen of Hearts, the Mad Hatter, and our court magician are the only known descendants from the magic clan presently? Didn't you read that the only magic the clan can't do is resurrecting and reading peoples' mind? Didn't you-"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, but didn't you throw him in the dungeons with some binding spell from the court magician?"

"Yes, but I want to make sure. Bring him here."

As Cyril turned to bring the Mad Hatter, a soldier came running, bowed quickly and announced "Your majesty, the Mad Hatter has escaped!"

"WHAT?" I yelled in deep rage.