10: The new normal

"Maybe we should head down," Emily mumbled suddenly.

Both Ali and Hanna turned to her, looking at her weirdly. Em never interrupts conversations, Alison thought. Normally, she just waited for the transmitter to finish their sentence. But they didn't say anything about it. They got up and followed Emily downstairs. Alison caught sight of Spencer and Aria on the dining table.

Spencer looked at her sadly. "Sorry about earlier."

"It's okay," Ali dismissed, but was still confused. That tone had been out of nowhere. She'd ask her about it when they were alone. And Alison also wanted to thank Aria, guessing she was the one who convinced her to apologize.

Emily and Hanna took seats in front of Spencer and Aria. Alison was about to do the same to steal some of their breakfast, but then the door opened. Ian and Melissa entered through the living room.

Was Ali's subconscious trying to save her from this encounter by being lazy? Did it know that her urge to eat would be immediately gone? But now, she felt the need to throw up. She had totally forgotten Melissa lived here, too.

Melissa was around the same age as Ian and Alison's brother. They were all in the same grade. Ali was suddenly grateful that Jason had had a crush on Melissa because without it, he probably would be friends with Ian. He wouldn't hate his guts so much.

Alison restrained her feet to not run to the door and tried to take deep breaths without anyone noticing. She wished this was a bad dream.

Melissa passed by them to take some drinks out of the refrigerator. She seemed all happy and giggly while being with her boyfriend. Alison suppressed a gag. Meanwhile, Ian stood awkwardly with his hands on his sides, glancing at her and her friends. His girlfriend is wearing a damn bikini and he's looking at middle schoolers? Okay. This was it.

Alison mumbled Be right back to her friends and walked towards the bathroom, locking the door just in case. She started pacing, barely being able to hear small talk between Melissa and Spencer.

She didn't know how much time had passed, but their conversation finally ended. She waited a few seconds before exiting the bathroom. She had pep-talked herself. Everything's going to be okay, Ali. Nothing's gonna happen. Your friends are there. Hell, Melissa's there. So she walked back into the room. Melissa and Ian were leaving to the backyard.

Hanna waited until he closed the door to comment on his abs. He'd been shirtless, only wearing swimming shorts. Aria praised him, too. Spencer looked creeped out--after all, he was her sister's boyfriend. It would be weird to be talking about his abs. Meanwhile, Emily was looking at Ali.

Alison gave her a closed-lips smile, which faltered. She was about to lie so she glanced anywhere but her. "Uh, my mom called and I have to go."

Suddenly all eyes were on her. "W-why?" Em asked. Ali hadn't said anything about leaving earlier.

"She has some cause célèbre or something, forcing me to go because we all know she can't take Jason or my father." Alison didn't know why her mom had stopped taking her dad to events. She suspected it was because he was a loud eater.

Emily had a sad expression on her face. Ali felt bad for not telling the truth. She was scared, even though nothing had happened. She was scared, wanting to hide herself in her bed. She was scared, but why? She had threatened him. There was nothing to worry about. So, why? Why was she scared?

After Alison packed her things and left, Emily received a call from her mother, who'd told her to don't come home too late. Obediently, as always, Emily went straight back to her house the next minute. There was a basket on the counter.

"Did someone move in?" Emily asked. Her mom was the welcome wagon of the neighborhood. When Ali moved in to Rosewood five years ago, her mom had also welcomed the DiLaurentis' family. Emily had tagged along, too. But she hadn't talked to Ali. She just saw her through the door, playing with dolls on the living room. Emily was sure she hadn't noticed her and Ali had never mentioned it. But Emily had thought Ali was really pretty. Like, really, really pretty. No other girl in school was this pretty.

"Yes, just around our block. I have to rush to work, but I was wondering if you could go for me?" Pam asked.

Emily felt anxious. Go... alone... to somewhere with people she didn't know? She opened her mouth, but her mom was already by the door."I-"

"Thank you, Emmy. I love you!"

Emily sighed. Now she would have to go. She grabbed the basket and left the house, making her way around the block. Sure enough, there was a couple of boxes outside. A girl came out the door. She had dark skin, wavy hair and long legs. She was wearing shorts.

"Uh..." the girl trailed off.

Emily slapped herself in the head. Had she been staring too long? "Sorry. Hi, my name's Emily. I brought you this." She gestured the basket.

"Oh, thanks, Emily. I'm Maya." Maya rubbed the back of her neck for a couple of seconds and then accepted her gift.

"I know it's weird. My mom just likes welcoming new neighbors."

"It's kind of sweet, thank her for me." Maya peeked inside the basket. "Ooh, I love these." She picked up banana gum.

"Well." Emily put her hands on her jeans' pockets and rocked on her place. "See you around." Before Maya could answer, Emily turned around and walked away. She had wanted to go as soon as possible. Maybe she came off as rude, but it wasn't like she knew Maya. She only knew her name and she hoped it stayed that way. Emily had been embarrassing enough.