[ XXVI ] Corruption and Expectation

Start from the beginning

"I gave it to Aline. When we got married, it was my most important possession, so I wanted it to be worn by the most important person." Her eyes were soft, full of love for someone who was not even in the room. Mark's face softened, the thought of his sister being happy even after everything she had been through comforted him. Just like him, they did not let the horrible things they went through crush their heart.

Jia's expression warmed as well, "Aline? Well I shall call my daughter here as well then."

Ty looked down at his hands, twiddling his thumbs in his lap, "Does this mean Helen has to leave again?"

The faerie-blooded Blackthorn blanched, but Jia simply smiled with a wink, "Why would she leave? She is now of vital importance in this mission, we couldn't bear to have her leave."

Julian couldn't help the smile that spread on his face, especially at seeing the expressions of his brothers light up. "Thank you, Consul. Thank you for everything." Everyone got up to be dismissed, but as they all left, Jia spoke.

"Julian," Her voice was softer now, eyes almost pleading. He stayed behind as the rest of the group filed out of the office, "I am trying to make things right. The Clave has always had its fair share of corruption, but I fear it is worse now than ever. Worse than the Circle. The Circle only had a few powerful members, but the majority of the Clave saw them as wrong, extremists who spread false prophecies. The Cohort is different. People believe them. Believe that Downworlders should have no place with us, it is dangerous."

"What about the new Inquisitor?" Julian asked.

Jia shrugged, "I do not know Lucien well enough yet to know. But I am keeping my eye on him."

"I believe in you Jia." He said, and he meant it, "You are perhaps the only one left in the Clave who is not stained by this corruption. Who knows the Cohort is wrong. I hope that sooner rather than later, you believe in yourself enough to try and make a difference." And then he was gone, leaving the Consul standing in her office, hoping for the same thing.

***

"For the love of all that is holy, Cristina," Emma said, laying upside down on the couch in the Blackthorn's townhouse, "If you do not make a decision, I am going to make one for you."

Cristina was lying on the armchair situated next to the couch Emma was so gracefully sprawled on, "Emma, your decision is not a decision at all."

"Like hell it isn't!"

"A decision is choosing between two things. Not saying both." The two of them had been in the study, talking and catching up. With everything that had been happening lately, they hadn't gotten a chance to hang out and talk like best friends would. As much as Emma hated being left behind and not being involved in this part of the mission, it was something she had long needed. Now they were talking once again about Emma's favorite topic – Cristina's love life.

"Well I say both is also an option." Emma was holding a book upside down, flipping through the pages despite the fact that trying to read it was giving her a headache.

"Both of what?" A curious voice asked from the doorway, the lilt of Faerie in his voice. It startled Emma enough that she dropped the book on her face and Cristina burst out laughing.

"I wouldn't laugh at me right now if I were you, Tina." Emma winked as she sat up straight and rubbed the part of her face the book had smacked. Cristina froze, blush creeping across her face. With a smile, Emma turned to Kieran, "Chicken and waffles. It's a classic combination."

Kieran looked affronted, "Together?! What an abomination. Have you Nephilim no proper taste?"

Cristina huffed out in relief, she didn't believe Emma would actually tell him the truth, but the thought of telling Kieran still sent her heart racing. He came to sit next to Emma, picking up the book that she had dropped, "And to think, of all enemies to assault the great Emma Cordelia Carstairs, the only one to succeed was 'Enochian: Language of the Angels.'"

Emma glared at him and Cristina couldn't hide her chuckle, "I mean, it is a big book."

"Oh shut up," Emma laughed, shoving the faerie playfully. Kieran's hair was a sky blue color; the color of happiness and playfulness as Cristina had come to know. Unknowingly, a smile had spread across her face at the sight of him. Someone must have cut his hair, it was mildly wavy, hanging above his shoulders and half pulled back. "I'm going to go find Tavvy. He doesn't make fun of me."

"Not yet at least, he's still pretty young." Julian spoke from the doorway with a smirk, he was leaning against the doorframe with Helen standing next to him. She was beaming.

"Helen!" Emma ran for her, pulling her into a hug that was returned just as tightly. "By the Angel, I am so happy to see you!" She pulled back, hands cupping her face. "Do you have the ring?"

Helen laughed, the sound lighting up the room, "Emma Carstairs, always down to business." Her words held no sting, only the joy of being reunited.

Julian was the one to answer her question, "Aline does, she'll be here later tonight with it."

"That's great!" Emma had stepped back from Helen now, arms crossed lightly, "So then what?"

"Then," He began, a dark glint in his eye, "Then we plan our assault on the Unseelie King. Then we get our revenge."