Chapter Eight

'Daddy!' I screamed, my face stained with tears.

'Hey pet, you're home! What's wrong?'

'What's wrong is that you're leaving mummy, aren't you?' I saw the shock on his face. He got up and hugged me. 'Why? Why would you do that?'

'It's between us sweetie, but don't worry, we'll love you the same.' They were talking to me like I was a child. I know they'll love me the same but it won't be the same.

'Why didn't you tell us?'

'You had your exams to study for. Your mother and I didn't want to stress you. We only told James. Who told you?' I ignored the question. It wasn't that I didn't want Michael to get into trouble, but I knew his mother would so I stayed quiet.

'Are you going to move?' I asked, hoping strongly that he'd say no.

'No, I am.' I looked over at my mother who was standing by the doorway. For the first time I noticed the change in her appearance. She no longer stood tall, proud and happy. She was always a softly spoken, calm and cool person. But I realised she lost her radiance. Now she started to look old and tired.

'Where?' I asked feeling even more hurt. I couldn't live without my mother.

'We were going to tell you in a few days but I guess there's no point in waiting. Its a flat that your father's been staying at most nights in the last month or so. I'll be moving there with Wayne whilst your father moves back. He starts work again in a few days and its easier for him if he stays here.' This was all too much. I rushed past my mother up the stairs and into my bedroom. I dragged my desk in front of the drawer so no one could come in. Feeling completely drained of energy, I collapsed onto my bed and cried myself to sleep.

I woke up to the knocking on my door. It was James, he was shouting at me. My head was throbbing but I managed to force myself out of bed and push the desk aside. I opened the door expecting James to tell me off for something.

'Mum and dad had a fight last night, mum's packing up to go.' I pushed him out the way into my mother's room.

'Mummy, I'm coming with you.'

'Mary, I'm stressed as it is. Please don't argue with me.' I left her room, back into mine and started packing. I went downstairs with my bag to see my father putting suitcases into the boot of his car. I handed mine over.

'Are you going too?' He asked disappointed. I nodded.

'No she isn't.' My mother shouted. 'Mary go back inside!' I opened the car door and sat down folding my arms. 'Mary, please!'

'Mummy please don't make me stay here without you. I'll be on my best behaviour and I'll do all the housework and I'll never ever bother you.' I pleaded. Everyone seemed fed up with me so with a few nods, they agreed. I went back inside the house to get my phone and lingered for a while in my bedroom. This is really happening. One day, I believe I have a perfect life but I'm being an ungrateful cow, and the next my whole world's crumbling down. My name was suddenly called and I jumped. I turned back to see it was Michael.

'You're going too?' He asked. I nodded. He came over and hugged me. 'I am so sorry about yesterday. I was angry and I know the things I said were wrong. You're not an arrogant or selfish.' Those words triggered the memories of yesterday and I felt the raw pain. I pushed him away, furious.

'Well you are!' I was walking towards the door when he grabbed my wrist.

'I don't want you to go like this. Come on, we're going to make up anyway, why not now?'

'It's not like my absence will really affect you, we've only been friends all our lives but now you have Hannah who you evidently care about more after a few revision classes you shared. Trust me, she'll keep you on your toes and you won't even remember my name.'

'It's not like that. If it makes you feel better, I came straight home after you left last night.' James called my name out from below and I shook my hands from Michael's grip and ran down the stairs. Lilly was there, waiting. She gave me a big hug and told me she was sorry for my parents’ separation. We promised to talk on the phone every night.

'I'm sorry about Michael too.' Lilly said before I left. 'Just to let you know, I'm taking a page from your book. I'm giving him the silent treatment.' I smiled, then looked at the house I wouldn't see for a while, though at the time I was expected to stay over with my father on the weekends.