Chapter Seven

On the day before my end of school party, Lilly entered my room.

'Mary what's wrong?' She asked.

'Hello to you too.' But the expression on Lilly's face didn't change.

'Michael told me. Is it because of him?' Well of course he did. What ordinary person cries over nothing? That was the thing, I didn't have an explanation.

'No. Why would I seek comfort from him if that was the problem?'

'So it's something else?' I sighed and looked at her trying to form a reasonable response.

'Lilly, will you please help me. There's the party tomorrow and I'm not ready for it. Could you straighten my hair?' Lilly sensed I didn't want to talk about my issue so she plugged in the hair straightener and sat behind me trying to look a jolly as possible.

'Oh the overrated party,' She said combing my hair. 'I scarcely remember attending it last year.' I gave her a forced smile. 'Do you remember my dress? We chose it together.' I nodded. 'Mum was thinking about giving it to charity but I just couldn't. We had such a laugh on the day we brought it. It brings back so many memories.' I sat there smiling and nodding. I felt ridiculous, never had I been so quiet with Lilly. 'Remember when James saw me trying it on?' Sensing I wasn't in a mood to reminisce over good times, she couldn't keep the act up for any longer. 'I didn't know there was something really wrong, Mary. I'm really sorry.' She put the straightener and comb down and sat in front of me. 'I want you to know I'll always be here for you to talk to.'

'Forever?' I asked feeling guilty.

'Forever and ever.' She smiled.

There was only one person in the world I hated. Hannah. We were friends in our first couple of years at secondary school but I soon realised how she used me to make herself feel better. She would make rude remarks about my clothes and hair. Worst of all, she would say bad things about me to boys to make herself look better in their eyes. It was Lilly who first pointed out that there was something strange about Hannah, but I disregarded her suspicions and stuck up for my friend. I thought I was quite a good judge of character but then there was an incident that proved Lilly's theories of her. I became friends with a boy in my English class. He always made me laugh and gave me attention when no one else did. I gained a little crush on him and told Hannah. A week later I found out they had started dating. I reacted badly and since then, we've hated each other.

On the way to the party, I kept looking down at my beautiful dress. It was simple but I loved the way it was tight at the waist then it elegantly flowed down, touching the ground. Lilly, my mother and I found the dress months ago and I immediately decided that this was going to be the dress I was to wear at the end of school party. I entered the noisy room with my friend Maria. We talked in a corner for a while, unsure what we were supposed to be doing. But then she got whisked away by her boyfriend for a dance. I stood stiffly alone when Michael appeared. My knight in shining armour dressed in a lovely suit that complimented him very well. He motioned for me to come outside with him which was a relief as my ears were ringing with the noise.

'You look nice.' He said with a warm smile on his face.

'Thank you.' I felt myself turn red. 'You do too.'

'Why do you hate Hannah?' He asked out of the blue.

'You know why.' I replied.

'But that was years ago. She's changed now.'

'How would you know?'

'We were in the same revision class for History.' I didn’t like the sound of this. 'It’s occurred to me now how I've been waiting too long for the right girl to come as Mum's taught me too. I mean, generations are changing. I wonder if maybe Hannah is the right girl, if not then at least I should start...' He thought for a few seconds, 'Exploring.' He finished, blushing.

'If you start something with Hannah, I swear you will mean nothing to me.' I just about let the words out, fighting back tears. This was all wrong. Hannah was the worst person ever! Even if I didn't love Michael I would be devastated for him to date her. But the fact that I did love him made it all the more painful. He laughed a little.

'Dude, stop using dialogues from films.' I gave him a grave stare. 'Look Mary, people change. I know what happened but that was so long ago!' He waited for me to say something. 'I don't want to upset you. That's why I'm asking you.' I remained quiet for if I spoke, I was sure to cry. 'You punched her so didn't you end things even?' Even? All this time I thought Michael would always take my side. I felt my heart breaking into tiny little pieces. A sick feeling came into my stomach; I couldn't stand in front of him any more. I turned and ran towards the bus stop. I knew my oyster card would have proved useful. I thought of how mother would be furious if she knew I was taking a bus so late in the night dressed the way I was. But I didn't care; I needed the comfort of my room. I heard Michael calling out after me. 'Where are you going?' He shouted. Luckily I was just in time. As I got on the bus, I looked back to see Michael running in my direction. When he saw the bus doors close, he quickly took out his phone and put it against his ear. When I got to the bus stop near home, my mother was standing there looking pale, waiting for me. I got out waiting for her to scream at me, tell me how stupid I am. But she didn't. We silently walked home, nothing said between us.

He'd pick her over me. Over the girl who's been his best friend longer than we can remember. If he went out with her, she was surely going to break his heart. It serves him right! No, he can't have his heart broken by her. To have his heart broken by her he's have to give his heart to her. I was lying in bed burying my head in my pillows. My phone started to vibrate and I answered it without looking; I needed a distraction.

'Mary?' Of course, it was Michael. Who else would it be. I didn't reply. 'Are you crying?' He must have heard me snuffle. 'Why are you crying? You're crazy you know that? Making a big scene over a such a petty thing. Well you got all the attention you wanted. hope you're feeling better now.' He said sarcastically.

'No I'm not feeling better! I feel awful. You're a complete idiot! You don't understand, you never will! Go, go out with Hannah. Do what you want but just remember it cost you a friend. Not that you would care.'

'What is wrong with you? So you had a little argument years ago, I thought you never held grudges. You know what, maybe she was right when she said you're arrogant and selfish!' The words hit me like bullets.

'Why would you say that? Why are you taking her side?' I yelled.

'I'll tell you why! For the past two months you've been blocking everyone out, even me. I've tried so hard to talk to you but you act like we mean nothing to you. I asked everyone to find out what's wrong and finally my mum tells me about your parent's separation. You had every chance to talk to me, or even at least tell me but you didn't and that hurt. Its a hard thing, I get it but the way you've been acting as if the world revolves around you, that only you're affected-' I had no idea what he was saying.

'What? My parents aren't separating!'

'Mary I know now.' 

'My parents are not separating. If they were I think I'd know.'

'You mean, you don't know?' I then remembered how strange my mother's been acting recently. I thought it was just with me, because of my mood swings but I now remembered how she hasn't been talking properly, and I haven't heard her laugh in so long. She and my father have stopped talking too. It now made sense how my father was always apparently on night shifts although I heard him talking about his annual leave last month. The events of the evening began to feel small in comparison. My parents were breaking up. 'Mary, are you there?' He said after a long silence.

'Why? Why are they separating?' I asked.

'I... I don't know. I don't think I was supposed to tell you.' I hung up. My parents were the best couple in the world! Why would they break up after 22 years of a lovely blissful marriage. My dad was still home, he was staying late today because of my party. My mother didn't tell him I came home on the bus and he was still expecting to pick me up in an hour.