Chapter Two

It was a normal day when I noticed a change in myself. I was in my Maths class with my teacher Mrs Brand talking abou nonsense I never understood. As usual, my mind was wandering elsewhere. I looked out the door and saw a Music teacher walk past. Then it hit me, I should do Music. Straight after class I ran to the Music department and called for the teacher. I was so excited I could barely stand still. When the teacher came out, I began talking very fast and felt out of breath.

'Sir, I know I wasn't great student last year but I think I have potential in the area of Music and it would be wonderful if you could teach me how to play the piano, or a guitar or if you taught me how to sing.' Singing! I should be good at that. 'Forget singing, I know how to sing any way, a musical instrument on the side would be good.'

'Okay okay, take it easy there, Mary.' We then discussed what instrument I should learn.

'Would it be possible to learn all of them?'

'All the instruments? Do you know how many there are?'

'All the main ones then.'

'If you do take up classes, I advise you to choose one instrument as you only have a few months left of school. You have to also concentrate on your exams.'

'Okay. I choose Piano.'

'Are you sure?'

'Positive.'

Mother wasn't pleased that I chose to learn how to play the piano without telling her. But I won her heart when I began singing Isn't She Lovely to her.

'When did you start singing?'

'Today! I'm going to be a pop star Mummy. I'm going to be rich Mummy. My face is going to be everywhere and people will queue up just to see me! I'm going to have millions of fans all over the world who will be desperate to take pictures with me! Everything I say will be on the news!'

'Okay, calm down! I thought you did't like fame.'

'Don't like it? I love it! All that money, all for me to spend on anything I like. I'll have tons of servants and I'll live in a big mansion with big halls in which I'll hold dances like in The Great Gatsby! I'll be known as Mary Logan, the girl who brought the twenties into the 21st century! I should play Jazz instruments as well as the piano!' My mum began laughing as I listed one crazy idea after another. She didn't know that I was serious about everything I said.

A few days later, my piano lessons had begun so I decided to celebrate. I spent all the money I had saved on a pair of designer shoes. I didn't even like shoes. I had only a few pairs, my school shoes, my boots, casual pumps and trainers. And that day I brought a pair of expensive heels which were a size too big. TORY BURCH, Aaden patent-leather pumps for £240. I felt thrilled when I received them knowing that I was going to be a pop star with lots of money. £240 may not seem much to some but to me it was a lot. I didn't earn money and my pocket money was £10 a week and over half of it went on school dinners. I took the shoes to my room and stared at them. They were very pretty but I knew I couldn't walk in them. I couldn't walk in any footwear that wasn't flat and this was a size too big too. What was I thinking? I heard my mother calling out to me. Of course! My mother! Her birthday was coming up soon. I decided happily that I would give the shoes to her for her birthday.

'How much was this?' She asked on her birthday when she finished unwrapping my present. I could see she recognised the design.

'That doesn't matter.' I had my speech planned out. I would say that I saved all that money to buy this gift for her, and I would tell her it was on sale. I expected her to tell me off for spending so much, that I should learn to spend my money wisely but instead she caught me in a big bear hug and told me she loved me.

'You didn't even have to get me anything.' I could see her fighting back tears.

'I had to because you're the best Mummy ever.' I said from deep within my heart.

After a couple of piano lessons, I decided playing the piano wasn't getting me anywhere.

'I want to play the guitar instead. I'll be in a rock band!' I began singing a Nickelback song. 'This is how you remind me of what I really am!'

'Seriously Mary? Now you want to be in a rock band?' 

'Why? What's wrong with me being in a rock band?'

'You don't seem like a rock chick.' I put my hands in a sign of hand horns as I'd seen many rock stars doing and stuck my tongue out to look like a rock chick. For a moment I felt I was really on stage and I was dizzy in excitement. Then I looked at Michael who had fallen on the floor laughing.

'Electric guitar. That's what I'm going to learn.'

'I'll buy your albums. I'll probably be the only one buying them.'

'Oh you'll see. You're going to look up at me from the crowd and burn with jealousy as everyone chants my name!'

'Will I get a free ticket.'

'Of course.' Michael looked really amused. I assumed he really was jealous.