Chapter Three

A group of girls were whispering and giggling. Whenever I saw groups like these I felt uneasy. I had nothing against them but it was just that I'd never been in a group outside of home and they never really took any notice of me. No one paid me any attention but I tried my best not to care for I had my best friends. That day I learnt Michael was the complete opposite, although he had no idea.

'Imagine that!' A girl squealed fanning herself with her hand. 'If he asked me out.'

'Michael would never ask you out.' At his name my ears sharpened. 'If he would ask anyone out, it would be me!' The girl said fluttering her eyelashes then laughed hysterically. They all started calling him 'so cute' then kept blushing. As they were doing so, one started hushing them warning the others he was coming. I looked over at Michael to see what they were talking about and then I saw it. He had a striking face with the most amazing features. For the first time I took in his appearance and was surprised to see a tiny stubble growing over his strong jaw. What happened to that skinny kid with a head too big for his body? I couldn't stop thinking of how he'd changed into a man. A handsome man.

'It’s finally happened!' Lilly gasped as I told her the next morning. I gave her a baffled look. 'You like him! You're going to be my sister in law!'

'What? No!' I was in complete denial until I saw him later that day on my way home from school.

'Mary!' His voice made something shake inside. 'Wait up!' I didn't want to look at him. This could not be happening! 'Heard you got in trouble with the vampire again.' Okay, I had to look at him. I slowly lifted my head and met his warm gaze. How did I not know he was this gorgeous? What planet was I living on? No, I have to be normal.

'Yes I did. Ms Fleur heard my whispers from across the room and I was claiming I hadn't made a sound when I looked into her burnt orange eyes that silently spoke I know all. It’s the most petrifying thing, having Ms Fleur look at you like that.' We both laughed.

'Maybe she wants to drink you're blood. You do claim that you get a lot of mosquito bites maybe your blood's delicious.'

'It is. I tasted it.' He began laughing. 'I should make a song out of this. My Science teacher, is quite an odd creature. She has enhanced senses, and I'm sure she wears lenses.' I imagined myself in a Music video singing this, I felt so excited!

'Good one! Make sure you go home and write it down.' He was so adorably supportive.

It took me a week to finally accept, it was happening. I tried my best to be as normal as possible, ignoring Lilly's teasing. On the other hand, in my mind we were already having children and I'd named our first daughter. It was difficult balancing my career as the next Lady Gaga and taking care of children but I'd manage. The days went by and I got into a habit of secretly daydreaming about Michael but completely rejecting the idea of having intimate feelings when talking to Lilly. My recent songs were about Michael but I kept them a secret. I wanted show them to Lilly because she knew everything about me but I was afraid that if I was to verbally admit the truth about Michael, it would make everything more serious. I wasn't ready for that just yet. I liked my life the way it was, it couldn’t change just yet. But my imagination was taking over. I felt excited at the thought of my birthday with the knowledge that Michael would be there, and quite possibly hug me. The thought made me smile every time.

As luck has it, a day before my birthday I got a fever. I spent the whole day wrapped up in a blanket on my bed. In the evening, mother told me to come down. I knew everyone was waiting for me but I looked frightful. I couldn't show Michael myself looking like this.

'Mummy, I'm really not feeling well. Can we do this another day?'

'Do what another day sweetheart? I just need you to come down.'

'Mummy, I know.'

'Oh all right then.' Phew, that was close. A few minutes later everyone comes pouring into my room, with my father holding a ton of presents and my mother bringing in a big chocolate flavoured birthday cake. I couldn't help a massive smile forming across my face, who cared how I looked. I sat up and everybody else sat around my bed. I felt slightly awkward, like a patient in a hospital. I unwrapped several presents and each one was amazing! They all had something to do with music. Then everyone sang happy birthday and I cut the cake. It was delicious although I couldn't even swallow a mouthful. Later, when everyone was leaving, Michael stayed.

'I'll come home soon.' He told his mother. He turned to me. 'You look terrible.'

'Thanks.' I said sarcastically pulling the cover over my face. I knew I looked terrible. My eyes were swollen, my lips were dry and my whole body ached. 'When I'm famous, I'll have enough money to prevent myself from ever getting ill.' Michael smiled.

'Okay, if that's what you strongly believe. It was supposed to be your sweet 16.' He said scrunching his nose a little in sympathy. 'Don't worry though; as soon as you get better we're all going out.'

'Ooh, where?' He tapped his nose.

'It’s a surprise.' Then he leaned over me. 'Happy birthday, Mary.' He put his arms around me. I inhaled the scent of his skin and my mind went numb. I never wanted to let go. 'Wow, you're burning!' He said pulling back. 'Get well soon.' He just stared into my eyes for a few moments then looked away. 'Mum's probably waiting. Get better before Tuesday.' He smiled secretively as he got up. I was going to ask where we were going again but decided I'd like a surprise so I nodded and he left. Life was good.

Finally I got better. We were all going out for my birthday today, I still had no idea where. With Michael on my mind, I put on my favourite clothes and for the first time, some make up. I had been quite a tom boy until recently.

'Wow Mary! You look stunning!' Lilly exclaimed seeing me.

'Do you think Michael would like it?' I asked shyly. I couldn't keep it in longer.

'So you do like him! I knew it!' I could see the excitement on her face. 'That's why you're getting all dressed up! My best friend and my brother.' She smiled dreamily.

'Stop it! You're making me blush.'

'Michael's eyes are going to pop out of their sockets, let’s go.' She seemed more excited than me.