Chapter 13: Study Buddies

♡ Macy Morgan ♡

     “Mace, trust me! I didn’t kiss him, he kissed me!” Meagan pleaded as she frantically raced towards me the next day at school.

     “In my defense I was totally caught off guard. I mean if I had known, I would’ve stopped him. You know I would’ve stopped him. It’s not like I like him that way. Speaking of which, why did he even--”

     I turned around sharply, causing her to nearly collide with me. “Meagan. Meagan, listen to me,” I chuckled at her frazzled look. “I really couldn’t care less. You can do what you want with him.”

     Meagan’s eyebrows furrowed and she gave me a confused look. “Are you sure? I mean, you seemed pretty mad when you stormed off last night--”

     “Meg, he’s all yours.” I smiled and patted her gently on the shoulder. “Hey, I have to get to get to History class. You know how fussy Mr. Craig is about tardiness.” Meagan’s face held a look of persistence, and I knew she wouldn’t let this go until she got a concrete answer. But to avoid further prodding, I had to find a way out - even if it meant using History as an excuse.

     “But you hate History!” I heard Meagan’s voice call out as I sped-walked away from her.

***

     I couldn’t get myself to focus on anything the teachers were saying in class considering that all my mind wanted to do was go back to Spencer and Meagan’s kiss. All I need to think about is the look Spencer gave me to get my blood boiling. 

     Who does he think he is? Playing around with my head like I’m just some toy lying around for his entertainment. One second he’s sweet and sensitive and the next he’s a backstabbing jerk. And if anyone was supposed to be mad, it should’ve been me! He even had the nerve to get all up in my face about it.

     I was scribbling furiously in my notebook the whole time and I heard something rip. I looked down and saw that the papers were completely ruined from the gaping hole in the middle. I let out an exasperated sigh and ripped out the ruined pages of my notebook, crumpling them into a huge paper-ball of fury.

     As soon as the last class of the day ended, I got up and left the classroom, desperate for some air to clear my head. I was glad that Meagan wasn’t anywhere to be seen because as bad as it sounds, I didn’t want to deal with her at the moment.

     While weaving through the buzzing crowds of students, I mentally listed all my assignments and tests.

     Math test: Monday

     Science report: Wednesday

     History paper: Thursday 

     And those were only the things that were due next week. As my list of tasks accumulated, my steps became angrier and angrier, until I was just full on stomping my way towards my car. If I were to be assigned another task, I’m almost sure my brain would implode. 

     Pushing past the main doors of the school, the wind picked up my loose papers and scattered them all across the grassy field. This probably wasn’t once of my best days - no, actually, make that not one of my best weeks. I grudgingly picked up all my notes and stuffed them in my bag, crumpling them all in the process. After dealing with my troublesome papers I spotted my car across the parking lot and continued to express my frustration through my feet. I knew I was making a big fuss stomping around and all because people were staring at me like I was crazy, but that didn’t matter. All I wanted to do was get in my car and let out a long, loud scream.