Uma's Ally

A/N so this chapter is going to follow Uma. The next will most likely follow Harry.

Uma's eyes were glassy as she looked at the list for her name. It's just a week, just a week, I got this, she thought as she tried to convince herself. She tilted her head slightly back to keep the tears from falling. After a few seconds satisfied that they wouldn't fall she looked for her name again. Before she could find it she heard, "Uma?"

She turned in the direction of her name and saw a tiny girl in a ragged peasant dress. Raising an eyebrow she asked, "Yes?"

The girl smiled and said, "I'm Desiree."

She looked at her up and down and said, "Okay...and?" She wondered why this girl was wasting her time.

"We've been paired up," Her smile fell.

"We have?" Uma asked and turned back to the list to find her name again and sure enough there it was, Uma right next to someone named Desiree.

She turned back to her looked at her again. "Okay, partner. What do you want to do?"

Desiree looked her up and down and saw the sword she had, smiling evilly she asked, "You know your way around a sword?"

Uma scoffed, "Of course," she answered offended that she would even ask.

"Okay, let's play." Desiree said giddily.

"Where are you going to get a sword?" She asked.

"Don't worry about it," She shrugged, she had her ways.

"Okay," Uma nodded, "Let's get out of here."

They walked out of the school in silence. Thinking of what to say and coming up with nothing, she sighed, This is going to be a long week, she thought.

"So, should we head to the beach? It has the most open space?" She turned to Desiree and saw that she was on a store a counter with a sword pointed at her, "Where did you..." She shook her head already knowing the answer her partner would give.

"You need open space? Why?" Desiree tilted her head and smiled wickedly, " I like to think of the closed spaces as an advantage."

Unsheathing her sword she mimicked her smile and shrugged, "Okay, whatever you say." They touched swords and then bowed and began.

Uma was impressed, Desiree was strong and quick. She played dirty and that was always fun. Maybe this would be fun, she thought as she ducked a swing that would've hit her shoulder. Uma swung at her legs but Desiree jumped. Laughing they ran through the streets jumping up on counters, shoving people out of the way, almost hitting people that got in the way.

"You're good," Uma admitted while she swung for her stomach but was blocked by Desiree's sword.

"So are you," She nodded and she pushed Uma back and spun to swing at her legs. Hopping to miss the sword. While Desiree was still down she pointed her sword at her throat and smiled.

Of course Desiree didn't give up, she quickly moved her sword as she backed up and whacked Uma's sword out of her hand. Uma was very impressed as she backed up as Desiree pointed her sword at her neck. Desiree smiled victoriously, making the same mistake that Harry did when they fought. Grabbing the first thing behind her, which happened to be a hat since they were by the hat shop she threw it in Desiree's face, momentarily distracting her enough to roundhouse kick her legs and pick up her sword.

Desiree fell with an "oof" sending her sword flying. As she rubbed her ankle. Looking up she saw Uma and smiled as Uma held both her and her own sword up towards the sky.

"Cockiness, Desiree," She shook her head, "It always end bad, Harry made the same mistake when we played." She smiled at the memory. Putting both swords in one hand she offered a hand to help up Desiree. Desiree grabbed it and stood up. Uma gave her her sword back.

"You have to teach me your moves!" She praised, never having met someone who could beat at sword fighting.

"Well we do have the time," Uma began, she looked down at the hat she threw and picked it up. "Here. I think this actually suits you." It was a black pirates hat, with a gold rimming.

"You think so?" She put it on. It fit like a glove, she walked to the nearest reflecting surface and checked it out. "It actually does! Thanks!"

Nodding, Uma smiled back as they started walking again, "So my shift is about to start at my mom's shop. Did you want to come or did you want to go home?"

"I am kind of hungry," She said, "I'll go with you to get food and then I'll get out of your hair."

Nodding they began to walk in the direction of her mom's shop.

"So," Uma said, "Who is the principal making you avoid for the week?"

Desiree sighed and said, "Jonas and his brother," she shook her head, "We've been friends for years. Only friends though, nothing more," She quickly denied. Not having suggested otherwise, she raised her eyebrow but dropped it anyway. Wanting to change the subject she said, "For you it was Harry right?"

Uma paused and when she recovered from her shock she asked, "How did you know?"

"Well, it's no secret that you two are friends Some even think more than friends," Desiree shuddered. A couple on the Isle was rare, and even more rare at their age.

Uma said, "What? No way! Why would people think that?" She shook her head and glared at Desiree.

"You guys are always very close to each other," Desiree said as if it should've been obvious.

"That doesn't mean we're together!" She huffed.

"Okay..." Desiree said in a voice that sounded like she didn't believe her.

"Whatever," Not feeling like she had to explain herself to anyone she walked the rest of her walk to her mom's shop in silence.

Feeling the tension and not wanting to ruin the relationship between someone she had to spend the rest of the week with she said, "I didn't mean to annoy you," she said as a form of apology.

Uma rolled her eyes and said, "It's fine."

Once in the shop she said, "What would you like to eat?"

"Some fish and chips please." Desiree answered and when Uma walked away she hoped that she hadn't already ruined a possible relationship with a good ally to have.

Setting up Desiree's food, Uma began to think. She did know that Harry and her were always close to each other, but never really thought much of it. She assumed it was just the way her friendship went. Sighing and acknowledging the fact that it hasn't even been a day and she already missed Harry.

Walking out with Desiree's food she noticed that Desiree was looking a little miserable too. "You miss them huh?" Uma asked as she set down her food in front of her and sat down.

"Yeah, I guess you don't really know what you have 'til it's gone," She sighed as she picked up a fry and ate it.

"Yeah, I guess I miss Harry too," she admitted but quickly said, "And if you tell him that I'll deny it to no ends and you will regret it," She glared.

Desiree smiled at the threat, "And I'll deny it if you tell them as well."

"Okay, glad we can agree on this."

"Now, do you want to talk mess about them?"

Desiree laughed, "I thought you'd never ask!"

Here's another chapter! I already miss them together. I can't wait for them to be back.

-TheOnly