e l e v e n

And if you feel you're sinking, I will jump right over,

Into cold, cold water for you.

-Justin Bieber, Cold Water

~*~

I could have followed Zach's advice. I could have picked up my phone right then and given Jason a call, asking him to come over.

But the first emotion I felt -- betrayal -- prevented me from doing so.

So, instead, I called Lizzie once more. After a couple of rings, I'd nearly given up, but at the fifth ring, someone picked up.

"Cath, I can't talk to you right now. I -- "

"Lizzie, Jace is Mystery Boy," I said, cutting her off.

That effectively shut her up. "What?" she asked, her voice seeping with incredulity. "You're kidding, right?'

"I'm completely serious, Liz," I answered. "Jason Harley is Mystery Boy."

"But . . . " Her voice trailed off, mid-sentence. "Why?"

"Do I look like I know?" My patience was starting to wear off, and my anger and frustration were starting to take over. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you."

There was silence at the other for a few seconds. "Whatever, he's a jerk. You deserve way better, Cath."

I was about to mumble a, "Yeah," before I realized the situation in which I was put into. Instead, I sat up straighter on the couch and furrowed my eyebrows in a questioning manner. "Liz?'

"Yeah?"

"Are we . . . are we good?"

"It takes more than a stupid boy to take me away from you, McKinns. Now, shut up, I'm coming over."

My face stretching into an unconscious grin, I heaved a sigh of relief. "I'm not stopping you."

"Make sure to keep a bunch of chick-flicks and junk food ready."

I let out a chuckle, making a mental note that of that. "Done."

~*~

"School sucks," Lizzie muttered, kicking aside a stray pencil. "I mean, how are we supposed to write ten pages about Natural Disasters by this weekend?"

"It's not a lot if you think about it." I concentrated on Lizzie as she spoke, determined not to let my mind wander again.

I'd been screamed at in four classes for not paying attention that day, not to mention neglecting my History assignment. To top it all, I hadn't seen Jason all day; he'd apparently stayed home, sick.

"Cath?" Lizzie waved her hand in front of my face, frowning deeply. "Cath!"

"Oh, God." I shook my head like a wet dog and groaned loudly. "I was doing it again, wasn't I?"