Chapter Eight - Mister Meet Your New Babysitter

Start from the beginning

I honestly didn’t know what to say. I just showed up to the place at the time Livingston told me to go, and I had to expect anything these people would through at me.

Her frown eventually turned upright and she gently smacked her forehead. “Oh, you must be the new babysitter! How did I forget?”

Babysitter—at least it wasn’t erotic dancing. Thank you, God!

She widened the door and stepped back. “Come in, come in.” She heaved a sign of gratification. “My husband and I were worried that you wouldn’t show up.”

I walked inside the house praying these people weren’t the crazy murderous type. Mom always taught me to never walk into a stranger’s house, but this was different wasn’t it? I was eightteen, not five.

Before the women could even introduce herself, I was welcomed by a little mulatto girl with tan skin and big, curly, tan hair. Her smile reached her green eyes—well, one of her eyes, because of the pirate’s eye patched. I instantly grinned at her pirate costume.

Arg! Who are you? Arg!” The girl held her little plastic sword to me at a safe distance.

The women took the sword from the young girl’s hands, scolding her. “Valerie, didn’t I tell you not to point these weapons at people?”

The girl instantly lost her act. “But, Mom!”

The women’s face was serious now. It reminded me of my own mother when she scolded me as a child. “Do you want me to take this away from you for a week?”

The girl was close to tears. She pouted her lip and spoke with a small voice. “No,”

The women’s eyebrow’s straightened as her mood turned into a forgiving one. She handed it back to her daughter and her face lit up as she skipped down the hall and around the corner.

“I’m sorry, I’m Jasmine Greene,” She held out her hand and I shook it. “You must be Ashleigh Wills.”

I grinned and nodded. I was still unable to talk—I mean, I was supposed to be at home doing my homework or making sure all of the bills were paid, but…here I was.

When a tall man with blond hair emerged from the corner, he was talking to a young boy with glasses who was nodding his head. When the two noticed they stopped and the man grinned.

Jasmine Greene introduced me to the man as Brandon, her husband, and Ethan, their son.

“Hey!” Brandon nearly yelled. He seemed to have a pretty ebullient personality which made me smile again. “New babysitter, right? Our last one got married and moved across the country. How are you?”

He threw out his hand for me to shake while he talked at a thousand words a second.

I’d never babysat before, but I had to be open to try it. “Should I call you guys ‘Mr. and Mrs. Greene or—”

“Oh, no, honey!” Jasmine gasped. “You can call us Jasmine and Brandon.”

I nodded. Jasmine called out two other names and down came Valerie, the female pirate. “Arg! Yes, Mom?”

“Where’s Vanessa?”

“Nessie, Mom said come on!” Valerie shouted into the hall in which she ran from.

A few seconds later, another young girl peeked around the corner. She was an exact replica of Valerie—her twin.

“Come here, girls,” Jasmine said, and the girls came forth—well, while Valerie ran, Vanessa quietly walked. I noticed the blood-blush on her cheeks and her wide, curious eyes. She seemed a little shy.

“This is Ashleigh, your new babysitter. While Dad and I have to go work the evening for the next couple of months, she’ll be watching you, so behave.”

I heard Ethan scoff. “But, I’m twelve. I don’t need a babysitter.”

His mother gave him a pointed look. “And you can’t babysit you seven year-old sisters. I expect youto be on your best behavior, Ethan.”

Ethan rolled his eyes, then ran up the stair to what I assumed was his room.

“You’ll have to give him some time,” Brandon said as he gently wrapped his arm around his wife. “It took him a while to get used to the last babysitter.”

I wondered why that was.

“Would you like a tour of the house?” Jasmine asked. I nodded and she did just that.

Since I had never babysat before, I expected this first experience to be like the one in those scary movies. The sitter casually sits on the couch while some strange caller rings the house telling her to check on the children.

Luckily, none of that happened. I also didn’t receive another call or text message from that guy, so I guess my night ended well.

I wasn’t exactly sure when Jasmine and Brandon would be back home, but I began to get a little worried when it hit ten o’clock. By then, Valerie and Vanessa were already in their beds—I didn’t even have to remind them…such great kids.

Ethan on the other hand decided to be more difficult. It took me about four different times to tell him to go to bed. By the fourth, I was done asking—I simply demanded him to go. Eventually, he went…after madly stomping up the stairs and slamming his bedroom door.

And then, it was peacefully quite.

It wasn’t long until the parents came home. They gave me a twenty and thanked me, asking if I’d be back tomorrow.

I didn’t have another job—especially one that paid me twenty bucks to babysit for three hours—so I didn’t even have to think twice about my answer.