Chapter Four - Mister Mai and Caleb Seung

Stupid Livingston guy. Who the heck did he think he was – walking into this place and really believing that he could control us? Oh, heck no.

“It’s not like he’s going to do it,” I spat quickly without thinking. I turned to Mr. Hawkins who, surprisingly, looked hesitant about what he was going to say.

Don’t tell me he’s actually thinking about his decision.

He opened his mouth, then shut it again before finally sighing. “Ashleigh,” The tone of his voice was a little off. “I really am sorry–”

“Mr. Hawkins,” I interrupted feeling betrayed to my bones. What was going on? Why in the world was he doing this? Was he really going to let this fool control him?

He shamefully looked down, desperately avoiding my eyes.

Oh, no.

“Please return your nametag to the front desk. Today will be your last day.”

I absolutely could not believe this. He was breaking a deal with my father…an unbreakable one at that. “Wait – no, you can’t – you can’t do that. You know you can’t do that.”

I couldn’t lose this job – especially because of some imprudent rich guy – and Mr. Hawkins knew that. He had an agreement with my father.

 It was already hard enough to find a job that respected my school days. “I’ve worked here for the past two years and my father–”

Livingston rudely sighed too loud. “I’ve got business to take care of. Hurry it up.”

“Ashleigh,” Mr. Hawkins forced out. I could tell that he didn’t want to do this, but why was he? He brought his voice down to as whisper whereas only I could hear him. “His father owns this place. He practically owns our jobs.”

I couldn’t believe he was doing this. Now, I understood why, but at the same time, I did not. The blood within my veins began to burn, and I was beyond livid. My nails dug themselves into the palms of my hand. “After – after everything, you’re going to let this happen? I need this job. You know that.”

Mr. Hawkins’ shameful expression wasn’t enough. Usually, I’d fight, but my tears were so close to betraying me, and I was just too worn out already. I lifted my head to search for two possible witnesses, John and Amanda. Unsurprisingly, they weren’t even a part of the miniature crowd that’d gathered around us, but there was no doubt they’d have been able to help me out anyway. Amanda would’ve chosen Livingston’s side most likely because of how – dare I say it – hot he was. John wouldn’t have said one word, because let’s face it – that’s just who he was.

I didn’t want to look at that stupid rich guy, but when I did, a smug smirk was plastered on his face. Why in the world did these rich idiots think that they could always buy their way into everything that they wanted?

My head was just about ready to explode. This wasn’t the usual me. I had always been an unusually overly happy person who saw all of the good in life, but something in me that day clicked…and I blamed it all on that stupid Livingston guy.

He practically humiliated me in front of these people whom I worked with and those who came to the country club every day.

I swiftly removed the tight ponytail that was a major source of a growing headache, and walked back inside of the building. I kept my cool, steadily breathing in and out. I wasn’t going to crack, not right now. Unbuttoning the first few buttons on the shirt that was choking me, I barged my way to the front desk.