Season 3 - Episode 16: "United" we Stand

(We begin today on the moon in Zedd's palace. Vile is seen walking into Finster's workshop. He turns back toward the door as he points to an empty metal bed.)

Master Vile: Just toss him there, like the trash he is.

(Squatt and Baboo follow him in, carrying a limp, emaciated looking Ninjor. They toss him on the bed without regard for his safety. Ninjor turns to Vile. He struggles to speak.)

Ninjor: (Coughs) You'll never win...

Master Vile: (Snickers) Win. Winning implies this is some sort of game.

(Vile leans in close to Ninjor's face.)

Master Vile: And I play no games.

(He leans back out.)

Master Vile: If this were a game, you wouldn't be on the brink of death ready to have the only resource you offer sucked out of you like crystal out of some filthy African cave.

Ninjor: (Coughs) That's... (Cough) That's racist.

Master Vile: (Ignores) Even as a bargaining chip you're useless. The rangers barely notice you're missing.

(Hearing the ruckus, Zedd peeks his head in.)

Lord Zedd: Huh? What's going on here? What are you doing?

Master Vile: I'm about to make our army strong enough to take on the world.

Lord Zedd: With this shriveled up prune?

Ninjor: ...

Master Vile: I've kept him in a jar the past few weeks. Pretty sure he can't be away from his planet too long.

Lord Zedd: What's the matter with you? This plan will never work. Look at him, he's scrap metal at this point.

(Ninjor doesn't even have the energy to respond. Zedd continues...)

Lord Zedd: No, no, no. We need to be more meticulous about this.

Master Vile: Meticulous? Well. Somebody's learned some new words.

Lord Zedd: Yes. And I've got a plan that is sure to not only abdicate the rangers, but all of Angel Grove!

Master Vile: Really? And how do you expect to do that?

Lord Zedd: It's simple. What's the one thing they hold dear? The one thing the people are foolish enough to still believe they have some control over...

Master Vile: Mhmm...

"It's election season in Angel Grove with the mayor's seat up for grabs. The incumbent Lucy Carrington however, holds a sizable lead against her opponent, the self-proclaimed "Washington outsider," Rico Revoltez. Only time will tell if Revoltez' populous, if not controversial message will be enough to take on this daunting task

In national news, Vice President Gore places his infant son in a rocket to quote, "escape this dying planet." We'll have more on that later."

(Back on earth, as today's top stories continue to air over a TV screen facing the outside of an electronics store, Rocky and Adam pass by in the street – the latter of whom is holding a white cat.)

Rocky: Aisha's gonna flip when she sees we brought her cat to greet her from the bus stop.

Adam: Oh she'll flip alright. She'll flip when she realizes we're the only ones greeting her.

Rocky: The others were busy, remember? Kim has her gymnastics game today.

Adam: So another meaningless competition supersedes that fact that our friends been gone a whole week? Are you gonna ditch me at the altar for one of Tommy's karate tournaments?

Rocky: Well I don't know. I've never really seen you that way.

Adam: I don't know. It just sounds like Tommy was blowing hot air with his speech about unity.

Rocky: Aw, c'mon. It's not that bad anymore. It's gotten better, no?

Adam: Was it better for you when Robbie de-railed you the other day?

(He tilts his head upward, cueing a flashback of the teens in class.)

Rocky: Hey guys, what do you call a dumb power ranger?

Robbie: Rocky.

Rocky: No. They're—wait, what?

(Rocky tilts his head back. His face grows slightly grim.)

Rocky: Well Robbie's.... a different issue entirely.

(The two stop in front of a bus stop. Just in time for the bus to open. Shortly after, Aisha steps out holding several bags.)

Adam: Surprise!

Rocky: Welcome home!

Aisha: Ugh. I just left my home.

(She tosses her bags onto Adam's arm and pets her kitty. She looks around, befuddled.)

Aisha: Where is everyone?

Rocky: Kim's got a gymnastic tournament today. The others couldn't make it.

Adam: And Robbie's at his cousin's baby shower.

Aisha: What? Isn't his cousin younger than he is?

(They shrug.)

Aisha: This is ridiculous. I brought gifts for everyone. And I specifically asked for them to be here.

Rocky: I'm sorry. Uhh... How was your trip?

(Aisha lets out a sigh, as if to exhale all of her anger towards the other rangers for a moment. A smile comes across her face as she looks up to the sky.)

Aisha: It was amazing. I had so much fun. I honestly haven't smiled so much since I moved to Angel Grove.

Adam: That sounds about right.

Aisha: Tara is just so... I feel alive around her. Like I can just be myself. God I wish I were back in Stone Canyon.

(She reaches into her purse and pulls out a planner.)

Aisha: We've already made plans to see each other tomorrow. She's coming with me to the debates.

(Rocky sneaks a peek at what she's writing.)

Rocky: Who's "Psycho the Rapist?"

Aisha: Psychotherapist, Rocky. And mind your business!

Rocky: Sorry...

Adam: So where do you wanna go?

Aisha: I don't know? Where are the others?

Rocky: They should be at the Juice Bar for the competition.

Aisha: Then I want to be anywhere but the Juice Bar and that stupid competition.

Adam: Sounds good to me.

(Adam, Rocky and Aisha head off. Meanwhile, in Juice Bar the entire place has been set up as a stage around the balance beam for the regional finals. Dozens of people, parents and students surround the stage as Angel Grove High takes on the F.D.R. high school. It is a closely contested contest, with spectators from both sides gripping to their seats. Ernie, the host of the event takes the stage.)

Ernie: The score is F.D.R 196 to Angel Grove's 180. Angel Grove has two players left.

(The room is completely silent with tension. Only hushed muttering is heard. Except for the Angel Grove High bench, where team captain Hannah appears more pumped than anything else.)

Hannah: Okay girls. We just need seventeen to win. We could blow one of them and still take the regionals.

(She turns to Kimberly, who is staring intently at the ground.)

Hannah: Are you okay, Kim?

Kimberly: For future reference, it's safe to assume that I'm not.

Hannah: What do you mean?

Kimberly: What do I mean? I'm nervous, anxious, nauseous! I've been throwing up all morning.

Hannah: Aw, you're gonna be so skinny!

Kimberly: Why aren't you nervous, Hannah? What's wrong with you?

Hannah: (Shrugs) No one knows. But I can show you which meds have helped.

Kimberly: ...

Ernie: Next up, Hannah M. Tana.

Hannah: We got this. Just relax girl.

Hillary: Good luck!

(Hannah confidently strolls up with applause in the background. Without much hesitation, she runs up the mini ramp, onto the balance beam to a standing pose.)

Kimberly: Hillary, why isn't she freaking out? She's missed like, half our practices.

Hillary: Cause she's the best.

(Like a fish to water, Hannah takes two steps forward – folding in each arm with each step, showing off her impressive balancing skills. When near the ledge she kneels down and performs a handstand; holding it for several seconds.)

Lindsay: She can slum around the gutter all she wants until she "finds herself" again. When it's crunch time our girl brings it.

Hillary: Yeah. She's even called in scouts from all over America.

Kimberly: Wait, slumming? With who?

(Hannah gracefully sets herself down. Jumps up and down in place a couple of times before turning around. She leaps forward with her legs out. However she's late to land and suddenly loses her footing. She splits the beam.)

Hannah: ...!

(The crowd gasps. The judges stare at one another, equally stunned and disapproving. Her confidence squashed. She quickly hops off the beam and bows to the crowd to a tepid applause. She bows her head in shame and walks over to take her seat.)

Kimberly: Hannah... I'm...

Hannah: ...

(Hannah looks to have had the life sucked out of her and has nothing to say. The judges give her an average score of 7.5, meaning Kimberly now needs a near perfect score to win.)

Ernie: Last up, Kimberly Ann Hart.

Kimberly: Uhh...

(Before being able to think of something uplifting to tell Hannah, Kim is rushed and has to leave. She passes by Ernie as she takes her position.)

Ernie: Good luck, Kim.

Kimberly: (Exhales) Thanks...

(Kim takes some deep breathes to try and center herself. She takes somewhat longer than usual though. Until she turns to the crowd and finds some familiar faces rooting her on.)

Tommy: (Mouths) You got this, Kim.

Billy: ...

(Trying not to think of it much harder, she extends her right leg forward, and charges gracefully toward ramp. She pushes off of the beam, turns, and rolls into a seated position. She then gets up, puts both hands in the air and walks to the ledge. Trying not to delay too long and overthink, she pulls off three backflips. The third landing her right on the ledge. Applause breaks out.)

Billy: (Clapping) Not bad. Not bad at all.

Tommy: (Clapping) Yeah. You know, I've never really cared about her gymnastics. I sort of just thought she looked slamming in those tights. But she's actually really talented.

"I'm glad you approve."

(Ms. Capulet, Kimberly's mother steps in behind Tommy with a disapproving stare.)

Tommy: Mrs. Hart... uh... Capulet, hi! Always a pleasure.

Ms. Capulet: ...

(Ms. Capulet holds her judging stare as Kimberly holds her pose until the clapping subsides. She then charges right and does a front flip. She sticks the landing, resets, then lunges further right with the split Hannah failed to stick. Kim then turns around and charges left, then leaps off the balance beam. She lands down on her feet and throws both arms in the air.)

Ernie: Angel Grove wins!

(Ernie raises Kim's hand in victory as the Juice Bar bursts in applause. Tommy and Billy join Kimberly's mother and everyone else is a standing ovation.)

Billy: Ernie can just make that decision?

Tommy: (Shrugs) ...

(Angel Grove High rushes toward the beam to pile on top of Kimberly in celebration. All except Hannah, who sort of tepidly claps along. As the celebration continues, she slinks out while no one notices she's gone. She takes her bags and heads for the hallways.)

Robbie: Hey.

(That is until she's stopped by Robbie, who appears to have been waiting for her just outside the exit.)

Hannah: Hey?

Robbie: Nice going out there.

Hannah: Is that sarcasm?

Robbie: (Shrugs) I don't know I just got here.

Hannah: I was horrible out there. I nearly cost my team the win. What are you doing here anyway?

(Robbie doesn't respond, but reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a crumpled piece of paper.)

Robbie: I found this in my room. A coupon for a ride at the carnival. It might cheer you up.

(As down as she might be, the cheap yet thoughtful gesture puts a smile on her face.)

Hannah: Robbie... Aren't you supposed to be at a baby shower?

Robbie: Screw the baby. He can shower himself.

(He musters a small chuckle out of her.)

Hannah: You didn't have to do this.

Robbie: Don't sweat it.

Hannah: No... I mean you shouldn't have. We agreed, we can't be seen out too often. As far as everyone else knows, I only date Americans.

Robbie: No one's proposing to you. I just wanna show you the best two minutes of your life.

Hannah: Yeah I've heard that promise before.

Robbie: Alright, forget it.

(Robbie starts to turn away, but Hannah grabs him softly by the arm.)

Hannah: Wait. I didn't say no.

Robbie: ...

Hannah: This was really sweet... Come to think of it no one's ever done something like this before. Heck, you're the first guy to actually bother to show up to one of my competitions.

Robbie: Really?

Hannah: Yeah.

(Hannah sounds equally surprised to say that.)

Hannah: That... kind of makes you the nicest guy I've ever been with.

Robbie: That's really sad.

Hannah: I know.

(There's a brief pause.)

Hannah: Look, I can't today. I promised my favorite niece I'd see her later. I also promised my other niece.

Robbie: I see.

Hannah: But are you free tomorrow?

Robbie: I don't know. I'll check my schedule.

Hannah: (Snickers) Okay. I'll take that as a yes.

(She squeezes his arm one time before walking away.)

Hannah: You're lucky. I've never done anything like this before.

Robbie: Yeah, I've heard that before.

(Back inside, Kimberly's friends walk over to congratulate her personally.)

Tommy: Congratulations, Kim. You did great!

Kimberly: Thanks!

Billy: Yeah, you really came through under pressure.

Kimberly: I know. I didn't think I had it in me.

Tommy: I knew you did.

Kimberly: (Smiles) ...thank you, Tommy.

(Kimberly's mother steps in again.)

Ms. Capulet: Great job honey. With your SAT scores and talent like this, you're a lock for Ivy League.

Kimberly: Thank you mom.

(Ms. Capulet darts a look at Tommy, then back at her daughter.)

Ms. Capulet: Hows the wedding planning going?

Kimberly: Not now, mother.

Ms. Capulet: I just hope it's going well. I hear the Juice Bar is pretty hard to book in the spring.

Kimberly: Not now, mother.

Ms. Capulet: Okaaay. I'll be in the car.

Kimberly: K. I'll be down in a minute.

(Her mother leaves.)

Tommy: How does she know I was trying to book the Juice Bar?

Kimberly: Tommy please.

(She rests her face on her palm out of frustration. She then looks around and turns back to Tommy and Billy.)

Kimberly: Where is everyone? I mean I know Robbie couldn't make it. But where's Rocky, Adam and Aisha?

(Billy and Tommy turn to one another.)

Billy: It's just us.

Kimberly: I don't believe this. One of the most important days of my life and most of my friends don't even bother to support me.

Tommy: We showed up.

Kimberly: That really bothers me. Jason and Zack would've been here. Trini would have been here. No questions asked.

Billy: Try not to focus so much on that Kim. You're going to the regionals!

(But she's long gone...)

Kimberly: I'm gonna have a word with them.

(The next day, Aisha is seen entering a small, yet cozy looking room. There is a picture of a cat hanging from a tree underneath a chair. She's welcomed in by a man in a suit and tie.)

Psychotherapist: Aisha, great to have you back.

Aisha: Thank you Mark.

Mark: Have a seat.

Aisha: Okay.

Mark: So how was your trip?

Aisha: It was wonderful.

Mark: Good. I know you had a lot of questions that you were hoping the trip would answer. Did it?

(Aisha pauses before nodding.)

Aisha: Yeah. I think it did.

Mark: How do you feel?

Aisha: I don't know yet.

Mark: Tell me about Tara.

(Aisha exhales deeply before responding.)

Aisha: She's awesome. She's cool she's... I wish I were her. She's beautiful. I never really had "girlfriends" before. I mean, there was Kimberly... but I've always just found myself hanging out with the guys. I don't know why. But she's just opened up a whole different side of me...

Mark: You seem to light up just now while speaking about her.

(She nods again.)

Aisha: Yeah... it was a nice week.

Mark: Do you want to elaborate on what made the week nice?

Aisha: It was... just nice. It was a very nice week. I was happy for the first time in a while.

Mark: You're not happy in Angel Grove? Surely you have friends here?

(She pauses again.)

Aisha: ...I... do.

Mark: You mentioned your relationship with Kimberly in past tense. Is there something that happened there?

(Aisha takes another deep breath. She then tilts her head upwards to segue into a flashback. Of yesterday evening at the Juice Bar. All the hubbub surrounding the gymnastics tournament has died down so Aisha feels safe going in. She tries to sit alone and sip a coffee in peace, when Kimberly walks in and spots her. She makes a bee line for her.)

Kimberly: Where were you?

Aisha: I beg your pardon?

Kimberly: Where were you? I had my gymnastics competition today. Where were my so called friends?

Aisha: Where was I? Where was I?! I was hopping off a bus from Stone Canyon. Where were you?!

Kimberly: When were you in Stone Canyon?

Aisha: I was gone for a week. Did you not take note of that?

Kimberly: ...

Aisha: I'm sorry we don't all orbit around you and your friends.

Kimberly: My friends?

Aisha: Yeah. But do tell me more about how your boyfriend cheated on you. Or how Robbie has no one to talk to but ruins every relationship he has. Or how Tommy was born of a virgin!

Kimberly: They're your friends too, Aisha. I'm your friend.

Aisha: You are? That's strange. Cause my friends would actually notice when I'm not in class for a week. They would make an effort to show up when I return or ask me about my trip. Or they would stick up for me when someone pokes fun at their weight.

Kimberly: I had no idea you felt this way.

Aisha: No, of course you didn't. Cause god forbid something happens that doesn't directly concern you. What, do you think we just disappear when you turn away?

Kimberly: Alright well, I'm sorry you're so upset. Really. But can I be constructive?

Aisha: Go ahead.

Kimberly: I get that you're angry and all. But you would get a lot more accomplished if you expressed yourself more respectfully, and not shout.

Aisha: Okay. Well can I be constructive?

Kimberly: Sure.

Aisha: You should kill yourself.

(Aisha storms off, leaving Kim's jaw to the floor. Back at the therapists office, she tilts her had back to respond to Mark's question.)

Aisha: If it's okay, I really don't want to talk about it.

Mark: Okay, we won't.

(Back in Aisha's memory, while Kim stays behind in the Juice Bar floored, something comes on the TV in the background.)

"Hatred and divisiveness. Some may say they're the only things they know about you."

(In an exclusive interview, news anchor Chet Thompson is seen sitting face to face in a small room with Mayoral candidate Rico Revlotez. A dashing, yet extremely pale and thin man with a thinner moustache and broad shoulders.)

Chet: In fact very little is known about you, who you are, where you're from and what you've done before this election.

Rito: I pride myself on being an open book, Chet. That's why the wife loves me. I'm transparent, unlike the standard politicians polluting this government making secret deals behind our backs. You can find out whatever you want from me. All you have to do is ask.

Chet: Okay, when can we see your tax returns?

Rito: My lawyers have advised me not to.

Chet: Okay? What is your stance on gay marriage?

Rito: The only two men that should be in bed together are a politician and his donor.

Chet: Alright, let me bring this back then. What state did you grow up in?

Rito: A constant state of fear, Chet.

(On the moon, Vile and Zedd are seen watching the interview on TV.)

Master Vile: What is this drivel?

Lord Zedd: That's your son.

Master Vile: He sounds like an imbecile.

Lord Zedd: I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Master Vile: What's he doing?

Lord Zedd: He's running for mayor. Mayor of Angel Grove.

Master Vile: Why?

Lord Zedd: Because Angel Grove is already a cesspool of paranoia and ignorance. I'm just giving a voice to the voiceless.

Master Vile: Well it's hard to have a voice as a constituency when you're missing teeth.

(A visibly pregnant Rita waddles in.)

Master Vile: He's getting crushed in the polls too. He's doing a terrible job.

Rita: It takes time for people to embrace their darkest side, dad. Something like this needs time to gain acceptance.

Lord Zedd: Thank you my dear. Once he is legitimized and seen as "normal," all bets are off.

Master Vile: Hmm! I'll be siphoning the blue Ninja. Call me when you two have a clue.

(Back on earth, shortly after Aisha and Kim had their altercation, Tommy walks back into the Juice Bar in search for Ernie.)

Tommy: Hey Ernie. Can I talk to you for a second?

Ernie: Hey! Sure. What's going on my man?

Tommy: Hey. You think it's too late to get my deposit back on the wedding?

Ernie: Oh no. Don't tell me...

Tommy: (Shakes head) It's a long story, Ernie.

Ernie: Such a shame. You two were a darling couple.

Tommy: Yeah, I know.

Ernie: I had something really special planned too. I was gonna have an altar set up right there, where Bulk split his pants that one time.

Tommy: I'm in a bit of a hurry Ernie, if you don't mind.

Ernie: Sure, I understand. Let me get my book.

Tommy: Okay.

(Ernie heads to the back to return Tommy's money. Tommy, not expecting a wedding to take place any time soon, just hopes to get this over with as quickly as possible so that he can move on. Then he hears a faint sniffling from the corner of his eyes. He turns, and appropriately enough, it's Kimberly. Without hesitation he walks right over to her.)

Tommy: Kim? Are you alright?

Kimberly: Huh? (Sniffs) Oh. Hey. Yeah. I'm fine.

Tommy: Are you crying? Kim, what's going on?

Kimberly: Nothing (Sniff) It's nothing.

Tommy: Talk to me Kim. Please.

Kimberly: (Sniffs) It's just, Aisha and I got in a fight.

Tommy: Okay?

Kimberly: I got upset she didn't come to my gymnastics competition. (Sniffs) And she was mad because I forgot she was out of town.

Tommy: Yeah?

Kimberly: We exchanged some words. She said I haven't been there for her. Then she told me to kill myself.

Tommy: She what?

Kimberly: Tommy, please. You have to promise me--

Tommy: Where is she? I'm gonna have a word with her.

Kimberly: Tommy please stop! Please...

Tommy: ...

Kimberly: I didn't think things were that bad.

(Tommy sinks back into "ranger mode," and remembers that this is likely part of a larger, underlying problem, plaguing his team for months.)

Tommy: Yeah. They're pretty bad.

Kimberly: But I thought we sorted this out already.

(He shakes his head.)

Tommy: This isn't a spell we can take care of in thirty minutes. I've been trying to make it better, but... (Shrugs) The damage may already be done.

Kimberly: Oh my god. And all this time... our team is falling apart at the seems and I was too busy to even know it.

Tommy: This isn't your fault Kim. Aisha had no right talking to you the way she did. You were just following your dreams.

Kimberly: Yeah but I'm a ranger first. And I'm supposed to be her friend. I could have read the warning signs. I could have done something.

(But Tommy doesn't reply. He's too angry to think straight. Kimberly however, puts things back into perspective...)

Kimberly: Tommy?

Tommy: Yeah?

Kimberly: If Zordon's right... and Master Vile launches a full scale war on earth... we're gonna lose.

Tommy: (Exhales) ...I know.

(Back on the moon, present time...)

Master Vile: Your plan isn't working! Angel Grove isn't filled with rage yet.

Lord Zedd: Give. It. Time.

Master Vile: I've given it enough time. I'm gonna kick it up a notch.

Lord Zedd: And how will you do that?

(Vile points to Finster, who walks into the room.)

Master Vile: Since I couldn't get anything out of Ninjor, I had Dogbert here create me a few catchy slogans that will speed this process up.

Lord Zedd: Is that your idea of speeding things up? catchphrases?! Oh, you're quite the outsider.

Finster: These aren't your ordinary catchphrases, sir.

Lord Zedd: Oh yeah? What's so different about them?

Master Vile: You'll see. When the time is right.

(Back on earth and later in the day, Aisha is seen walking through the park in a very crowded area. She looks up and sees a large stage ahead of her, with two podiums on opposite sides. Also in attendance, unbeknownst to her, are Bulk and Skull. They are being given the riot act by Lt. Stone.)

Lt. Stone: Unlawful arrests. Falsifying search warrants. Planting evidence. And more counts of discrimination than I could count.

Skull: We were saving a sexist remark for special occasion.

(An angered Stone gets right in Skull's face.)

Lt. Stone: You think this is funny?

Skull: N-n-no sir.

Lt. Stone: No. I didn't think so.

(He backs off. Then starts pacing around in front of them.)

Lt. Stone: I have never heard so many reports of harassment and outright abuse of power from a pair of officers before. Much less juniors.

Bulk: Does this mean we don't get a gun?

Lt. Stone: You get nothing.

Bulk: ...

Skull: ...

Lt. Stone: I don't know what twisted ideas you two had when you decided to join the force. But it's glorified jocks like you two that give police officers a bad name.

Skull: What? Twisted ideas?

Bulk: We just want to help people.

Skull: And who else should we protect them from but themselves?

Lt. Stone: Enough. I'm giving you boys one last shot. You blow this, and you two are fired. Am I clear?

Bulk and Skull: Sir, yes sir!

Lt. Stone: Alright.

(Stone furiously marches off. He passes by Aisha, who pays no mind to him. She's far too enraptured by what's in front of her.)

Aisha: Hey!

(A huge smile comes across her face as she walks toward someone.)

Tara: Hi Aisha! How are you?

(Aisha walks over and extends her hands face down to Tara, a short thin Muslim girl with a headdress. She's joined by several other similar aged kids in what appears to be an organized protest.)

Aisha: Great. (Exhales) I did something today I probably should have done a long time ago.

Tara: That's good! Wanna talk about it?

Aisha: Mmm. Maybe later. I'm just glad you came.

Tara: Are you kidding? We can't let this hateful dirt bag get elected. We have to let our voices be heard.

(Tara hands Aisha a large paper sign that reads "Revoltez is Revolting," and a strange black cloth.)

Aisha: Yeah. Though a hateful dirt bag would actually make the perfect leader for a place like this. They'd just reap what they sow.

"Can I have your attention please?"

Tara: Shh. They're starting. Quick, put on your hijab.

(Aisha unfolds the black cloth in her hand and puts it over her head.)

"Ladies and gentlemen. My name is Chet Thompson with the channel six news. And welcome to the Angel Grove mayoral debate."

(The crowd applauds.)

Chet: May I please introduce to you, your candidates.

(Mid-applause, Rico Revoltez and Mayor Carrington take the stage. They come from opposite ends, both waving to the crowd. They meet at the center to shake one hands, then head to their respective podiums.)

Chet: Thank you. Now, before we begin, I'd just like to remind the viewers at home that these are the candidates you've chosen. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

Rico: (Waves) Hi mom!

Chet: Now, Mr. Revoltez, the first question is for you.

(Chet closely reads the card.)

Chet: Who do you think you are?

Rico: ...

Chet: You have two minutes.

Rico: Uh... Okay. Well, before I start I'd just like to thank the fear in the audience for making tonight possible.

(Polite applause.)

Rico: As for who I am? I'm Rico Revoltez!

(A smattering of loud cheers starts to break out.)

Rico: I speak the truth to power, and now I'm gonna take power and clean up the mess they made. And while I'm cleaning, I'm gonna clean house and kick a few of the bums off my curb.

Chet: Can you please be more specific as to how you expect to "clean up" the mess in Angel Grove?

Rico: Easy. Step one. "Make Angel Grove Berate Again."

(The applause grows even louder. Even Mayor Carrington begins to seem a little thrown off.)

Chet: Mr. Revoltez, you've been accused of spewing hateful and sometimes violent rhetoric. You've even gone as far as to tell a herd of sheep that you were going to eat them.

Rico: And guess what? My approval ratings shot up with the sheep. I tell it like it is and they like that.

(The applause grows even louder.)

Chet: Mayor Carrington, your response?

Mayor Carrington: Well in all my years as a public servant, I've certainly never seen anything like this. My opponent has no experience, no credibility and most importantly, no clue what he's getting himself into.

(From the audience, Aisha looks on nervously.)

Mayor Carrington: I've been in office for 24 years--

Rico: (Interrupts) And Angel Grove is worse off than it's ever been!

(The crowd breaks out into a roar.)

"Yeah, you tell her!"

Aisha: ...Something seems off about that guy. Familiar even.

Tara: He sounds like that Robbie guy you talk about. Some blithering loud mouth punk, posing as a nihilistic pseudointellectual. I'm sure he loves this guy.

Aisha: No. Even Robbie would be scared of a world this animal creates.

(Elsewhere, in a rich suburb uptown...)

Hannah: You don't have to be so paranoid, Robbie. This isn't a bad neighborhood, you know.

Robbie: That guy just had a gun.

Hannah: That was a cop.

Robbie: Yeah, I know.

(Robbie is seen walking Hannah home after a long night out under an orange sky. Holding a large stuffed animal, Hannah stops on the corner before a large upscale home.)

Hannah: I guess we can stop here. I'll walk the rest of the way.

Robbie: Okay.

(She stands in front of him, then takes a deep breath.)

Hannah: I had a great time tonight. It really got my mind off of everything.

Robbie: No problem.

(Hannah squeezes the stuffed animal she's holding.)

Hannah: And thanks for the stuffed doggy.

Robbie: Thanks for lending me the money to win it.

Hannah: You really didn't have to take me anywhere.

Robbie: It's okay. I wanted to.

Hannah: Why? You're under no obligation to do anything.

Robbie: I don't know.

(Robbie hesitates to respond, almost now feeling embarrassed for taking her out.)

Robbie: I just... I really appreciated how you were there for me during the whole SAT thing. I felt really crummy. And you helped me get through it.

Hannah: ...

Robbie: This was just me returning the favor.

Hannah: Oh, okay. I mean don't get me wrong. I really, really appreciate it...

(While satisfied with the answer, Hannah feels she may have chased him off with her persistence in trying to keep things simple. In an effort to save it, she exhales slowly, then turns her head in an almost suggestive manner. But Robbie isn't biting. He holds eye contact with her and smiles, but nothing else.)

Hannah: ...I guess I'll see you in school on Monday.

Robbie: Yeah. I'll see you.

Hannah: ...goodnight.

Robbie: Night.

(She awkwardly turns away, and waves at him. He waves at her and turns. As soon as he starts to walk away, he is instantly struck with regret and starts second guessing every decision he just made. He then feels sickened with himself for allowing himself to care so much when he knows he shouldn't. In the middle of all of this, he runs into Rocky, who just happens to be walking around the same area.)

Rocky: Hey. Robbie.

Robbie: Hey. What's going on?

Rocky: (Sighs) I'm not that good. I've had a lot on my mind lately. You think you have a min--

Robbie: Whoa. I was just being polite.

Rocky: Oh... I'm... good?

Robbie: Glad to hear it.

(Robbie pats him on the shoulder and keeps walking, leaving Rocky stunned and shaking his head. Meanwhile, back on debate stage...)

Mayor Carrington: I have put more men and women to work than any other mayor before me. And that progress will be undone if a man is elected into office, whose biggest claim is how long he goes between showers.

Rito: I go so long between showers, people pay me to bathe. It's smart business.

Chet: Mr. Revoltez, what is your rebuttal to the mayors claims that your inexperience is a liability?

Rito: Well it's true that I lack experience, but her experience is bad experience. I mean let's face the facts. Under Carrington's watch, monsters have ravaged this city, property value plummets. Teacher's jobs slashed. And the cops? Mayor Carrington, where are the cops?!

(The crowd continues to roar at everything Revoltez says. The Mayor looks completely unnerved.)

Rito: And now we're facing terror threats from Islam?

Mayor Carrington: It was one individual, and I have taken steps to ensure that--

Rito: You've done nothing. Nothing but pander to Muslims, and play PC with your laws. You force police to stop every tenth person at a checkpoint? Well why should my sweet old granny get frisked, while Muhammad walks in with a bomb strapped to the diaper on his head.

(The crowds bursts into an unintelligible mixture of gasps and cheers.)

Bulk: That's what I've been saying!

Skull: Yeah!

(Aisha however, looks mortified. She turns back to her friend.)

Aisha: Tara... I'm so sorry you had to hear that.

Tara: It's okay. ...it's not your fault.

Chet: Mr. Revoltez, some may find your comments extremely offensive.

Rito: Bah! I'm trying to keep Angel Grove safe. And I refuse to waste time with the mainstream media trying to put my words into some kind of context!

Mayor Carrington: ...

Rito: I have a message, and a far reaching movement and we will not be stopped!

Chet: (Turns to camera) We'll be right back.

(The crowd explodes with raucous energy.)

Tara: Okay, now's our time. We gotta go.

(Tara, Aisha and the rest of the other teens throw on the hijabs and grab their signs to try and pull attention away from the hateful rhetoric. However Revoltez' last words resonated with the crowd much more than anyone expected. Within seconds, the audience that was once split is now in total unison behind a message of division and fear.)

Skull: C'mon Bulky! It's time to take the law into our own hands!

(Even those listening at home are left with a lasting impression and a fire in their stomachs. A fire, which Aisha and her friends, are unwittingly throwing gasoline on...)

"Hey, hey, ho, ho Islamophobia has to go! Hey, hey, ho, ho Islamophobia has to g--"

(Within seconds of the protest, Tara feels a pull from the back of her head. Before she can process what was happening that person punches her in the face. A small riot breaks out immediately within the vicinity. People start booing the protesters and throwing garbage at them.)

Aisha: Tara!!

(A panicked Aisha makes a bee line for her friend. She manages to wrestle her friend away, from a pack of suddenly ravaged citizens – a couple whom trying to rip her head dress away.)

Aisha: Oh my god Tara. I'm so, so sorry!

Tara: He punched me in the face! That guy just punched me in the face!

(As Aisha checks on her friend, the other protesters try and shout down the push back but find themselves pummeled with insults.)

"Get out of our country!"