When I opened the front door, my mother's voice carried throughout the house. Excitment dripped from it as she went on and on about all his college offers. Joe responded with 'yep's and 'mhmmm's, I rolled my eyes. Always full of conversation. I walked into the kitchen.

Nick was the first to see me and shot me a sympathetic smile. I just rolled my eyes, why didn't he warn me? Nick's gaze caught my mother's attention and she smiled at me.

"Lizzie! We were just about to call you!" She stood up from the table.

Joe turned in his seat and shot me his own little smile. He looked..different. For one, he had some scruff on his face, I guess when you're with a bunch of other assholes you don't bother shaving. And, oh god, he had an earring. My older brother got his ear peirced. I stiffled a laugh, but let a smile shine through as he got up.

"Hey...you're back." I said, awkwardly as he hugged me. 

Joe nodded, "Yep. I had to come home earlier because of this internship I got."

"Internship?" 

Dad smiled, "Joe is going to be an intern for Coach Beiste at you school!"

That's when I felt my life shatter before me once again.

XXX

The rest of the night was a blur. After Joe explained that his internship was for the rest of the year, and that he would be at schook everyday...I zoned out. I couldn't stop thinking about the pain he put me through, now he was going to ruin my senior year? 

After dinner, I ran up to my room and locked the door. Without thinking, I went to my bathroom and pulled out my razor, adding a new scar to my frigtening growing collection. After cleaning it up, I just leaned againtist my counter, taking deep breathes.

I probably would've stayed there all night, if someone didn't knock on the door. I quickly grabbed a sweatshirt from the hamper and pulled it over my McKinley Football tee shirt. I Wiping the last of my tears, I opened the door.

"Please let me in." Joe said, giving me sorrow eyes.

I sighed as I left the door and sat on my bed, waiting for him to come in. Joe seemed surprise by my invitation but quickly walked into the room, closing the door behind him.

"Look, I know you're pissed about this whole thing...but I need this. Remember that college in Chicago? Well, they accepted me! I'm on a waiting list until next semester, but they said an internship would look really good on my record...."

I listened as he droned on about himself. Joe was always good at gawking at his own accomplishments. He must be so great in his own mind, thinking he's a god walking among men. I decided to cut this off.

"Joe. It's fine." I lied. "When do you start?"

"Tomorrow morning...but that's not why I came up here." He took a seat on my bed. I stifled a look of disgust. "Mom and Dad want to have a big dinner this Friday with a few friends and family celebrating my internship and entrance in college. I was thinking you could invite Finn over for dinner."

Finn and Joe? Together? Now that was just a fight waiting to happen. Like Finn would ever agree to come over. Before I could even ask why, Joe continued.

"I want to make amends. I told Nick to invite Rachel too and he's all for it." He looked at me with big eyes. "Please, Lizzie?"

I bit my lip. Of course Nick agreed to Joe's invitation. Heck, I was more surprised by the fact that Rachel agreed to go. But, knowing Nick, he probably hasn't brought it up to her. I nodded.