Chapter 14

A/N-Hey guys! So just a little bit of background. The first few years of your life were spent in America, then you moved to South Korea. So, you remember a few things from there--including the food.

Your POV

I wake up on (b/f/n)'s couch. My nose is stuffed, and the pillow is soaked. I can tell it's still nighttime because it is almost pitch black in the living room. Almost. 

A small light is illuminating from the kitchen. I rise from my spot and make my way over, praying to God that I don't trip over anything. I peek into the kitchen and see (b/f/n) sitting at the counter, hunched over a Styrofoam container. I walk to the fridge and grab a water bottle from the inside. 

I lean over the counter to see what she's doing. 

"What is that? It smells amazing." I inhale a large breath, trying to figure out what the aroma is. 

"Uh...it's a hoagie," she says simply. 

"What?!" My eyes widen--you can't get that type of food here, "where did you get it?" I inch closer, trying to catch a glimpse of the food. I haven't had a piece of American food in years. It reminds me of the good times,  when everything wasn't so complicated. 

"My sister is studying abroad for college, and is in America for a few months. She sent me this." she says, taking a large bite. 

I lick my lips, not wanting to take her gift. I mean, that would just be mean. But, my stomach and taste buds say otherwise. She notices my torture and hands the other half to me.

"Here, you need some nutrients from crying so much." 

I give a small smile in return. I take the bar stool next to her, rubbing my eyes before taking a bite. The tastes explode in my mouth from the diversity of meats, and there's a dressing placed on top that I can't quite make out what it is--but I know I've had it. Just as I'm about to swallow it, the world swallows me into a better reality. 

flashback

"Dad! Where are we doing? I thought we were going to the baseball game!" A five-year-old me whines from the backseat of the car. 

"Well, pumpkin, it's raining so the game is cancelled. I thought we could go get something to eat! How about we go to my favorite place when I was your age, huh?" Dad looks into the rear view mirror and catches my wide grin. 

We stop in front of a small shop. Tables and chairs are set outside underneath a canopy. He opens the door for me, and the busy streets are soon replaced with the smell of meat. A line is formed by the cash register as people order their subs. We walk to the end of the line. 

"So, what would you like, sweetie?" Dad squats down to my level, pulling my (f/c) raincoat over my shoulders. 

"Whatever you get, Dad." I always looked up to him before. He could never do anything wrong, but then again, wrong is just another word for wounded.