32: Settling down

Start from the beginning

While I lingered at the window overlooking a large garden, my stomach rumbled and it was a reminder that I hadn't eaten anything since I arrived.

I set an internal reminder so that I'll remember to go shopping for appropriate food. But for now, I needed something to fill my stomach with.

Heading back to the kitchen, I unapologetically descended on the suitable food items there. Their owner could kill me later, my food first.

While I ate, I stared wistfully around the kitchen. I took notice of the coffee maker perched atop the marble slab, hopefully, I wouldn't be needing it.

The sound of a door opening dragged me out of my reverie. I twisted my neck in the direction of the kitchen's door and I saw a pair of brown eyes staring suspiciously at me.

The owner of the eyes was a girl my age, only that she had dark skin and her hair was black and curly, she had on a pair of jeans shorts and a tank top with a small jacket partially concealing the tank top.

A black backpack hung from her shoulder, some books were held in one hand and the other was placed on her waist.

"Hey." She genuinely smiled at me and approached me.

"You must be Florence, Eric told me about your arrival." She continued and forcefully placed her books on the marble slab.

"Yes, I'm Florence, I'll be attending the Fashion Management School for a few months."

She nodded.

"That's good, because I also attend there. I'm Kilani by the way."

She extended a hand and I took it in an handshake.

I continued eating and she watched me carefully, I knew that look, the same weird look anyone who's not aware of me being a vegetarian, gives me.

"I'm a vegetarian too." She spoke. I gave her an approving nod, glad to finally find someone who understood one area of my life.

"I'm glad we have something in common."

She laughed and picked up an apple and began munching it, while we talked about different things. She offered to show me around London and I accepted her offer. She told me a few stories about the Fashion Management School, all of which I found quite interesting.

She said she was a Nigerian but her parents lived here in London, at Knightsbrigdge precisely.

After a few hours of talking, we retired to our rooms. Kilani offered to cook dinner and asked me to freshen up and get well rested.

I showered and changed into a pair, of black sweatpants, a white tank top and a white and black checkered bandana tied on my hair. My phone was still lacking any message from Peter, even when I tried calling, he didn't answer the call.

I remembered what my mom told me and Tamara a few years back.

"Don't allow a man conclude that you're desperate. If he chooses to ignore you, ignore him too till he travels back to his senses. If after a couple of tries, he still refuses to come back, let go of him..."

***

The next morning, after I had taken my bath and dressed appropriately for my first day at school, ridiculous as it sounds. I stepped out of the house with Kilani who had on a pair of turquoise blue Jeans trousers and a button down shirt, on her feet was a pair of Converse shoes.

Outside, like Eric had promised, a car was waiting for me, the driver who gave his name as Mr. Andrew opened the door for us and we slid into the car.