"This was designed for my inauguration," Guijus explained, "and has not been used since." He spoke almost reverently as he looked at Tranton. "This occasion I thought was worthy of its dusting off. Today we crown a new future for the valley, after all, do we not?"

"I hope I don't prove to be a disappointment, King Guijus," Tranton said, wondering what he could do to temper the other man's excitement.

"Nonsense," the other man interrupted. "Your arrival was enough. It was proof of the impossible. Everything that comes after is a marvel, but your miracle has already been performed. Now, for introductions."

The king led Tranton and the entourage into the bowels of the vehicle, climbing the ramp into its interior, which proved to be more spacious than Tranton had expected. The vehicle was wide enough to accommodate seating along its edges, while leaving room enough for guests to stand and move about. Twin railings ran the length of the ceiling, presumably to give those standing something to anchor themselves to once the leviathan began to move. The metalwork had been covered with carved wood, polished to an unnerving shine, while red and orange drapes hung lackadaisically across the windows. This lower floor was occupied by more guards, dressed in more practical gear, and Tranton spied Roldan Stryke standing to attention at the far end, near a spiral staircase which led to the upper floor.

Though he acknowledged their presence, the king did not pause to introduce Tranton to the passengers on the lower floor, until he reached Stryke. "As your rescuer, it seemed only fitting that Roldan Stryke accompany us," the king said, outstretching his hand. Stryke stared at it for a moment and his mouth drooped open a little in awe, then he composed himself and shook it delicately. "You have done us a great service," the king said to the gruff man, who had seemingly failed to find a razor prior to the ceremony. "Your actions will not be overlooked or forgotten."

"Thank you, my king," Stryke said. Standing behind and out of sight of the king, Tranton raised an eyebrow at the old soldier. He hadn't imagined him to contain such obedience. Stryke resolutely, and wisely, ignored Tranton's provocation.

Guijus turned with a flourish, swinging his arms out wide to indicate all those gathered in the cabin. "All of you are the true heroes of Lagonia," he said. "You are the engines that keep us moving forward."

Biting his tongue so as to dissuade an inconvenient and sardonic smile from spreading across his face, Tranton composed himself then followed the king up the staircase, which wound its way around and around until they emerged onto the upper floor. The company and setting were very different, with the sun beaming down onto miniature dining tables bearing the finest crockery and cutlery, while the passengers were dressed in their very best formalwear. Tranton recognised Kirya and the queen sat at the rear end, beneath an ornate awning which shielded them from the sun and was only large enough to accommodate the immediate royal family; between them was a peculiar version of the palace throne in miniature, scaled down to fit aboard the vehicle. Tranton wondered whether it would be sufficient to hold the king. He also recognised the abrasive female guard who had led him down to the dungeon, stood next to the queen's chair.

He was taken on a rapid tour of the floor, the names of dignitaries entering one ear and departing rapidly by the other, each introduction and nervous, hesitant handshake leaving him increasingly bewildered. "Do you like my father's design?" asked one young man, whose name was Verase - Tranton didn't catch his first name.

The king bristled slightly, detectable probably only to Tranton who was stood in close proximity. "This carriage was indeed devised and constructed by Eddard Verase," Guijus acknowledged. "In fact, it was one of his first endeavours. You should really make a point of visiting his estate - it is most imaginative."

Rather than leading him towards the rear of the vehicle, where the queen and daughter were sat, Guijus instead moved to the opposite end, where a decorative ramp of sorts extended out beyond the front of the vehicle, like the carved figurehead on the prow of a ship. The passengers moved aside as the king approached, allowing him the prime spot at the very front.

Raising an arm, the king signalled to someone down on the ground. Engines hidden somewhere beneath the contraption increased in volume and with a lurch the huge vehicle lumbered forwards, making its way from the palace towards a bridge leading to the southern mesa. The king clearly took great pleasure in watching his guests lose their footing and almost tumble to the deck, drinks spilling onto the floor, while he stayed upright and proud, one hand gripping the rail of the prow. Tranton felt an odd sensation as memories were triggered of departing dock for the ocean waves.

"Let us ride this carriage into the history books," the king intoned, clearly enjoying the moment.

Tranton leaned on the railing, glimpsing the city far below between the dark silhouettes of the mesas as they crossed the bridge. He was finally descending from his raised prison, though now found himself trapped once again, this time aboard a ludicrous contraption. On the far side of the bridge he could see other vehicles waiting, some pulled by horses and others apparently self-powered. The caravan of vehicles would form quite the carnival.

Of all the unlikely sights before him, Tranton's attention remained on one thing only: the unwelcome and hostile glances from the passengers aboard the royal carriage. Some had clearly steeled themselves prior to shaking his hand, recoiling slightly at the touch. He could see one of them now at a water bowl, washing his hands as if they were covered in blood. Most now averted their eyes entirely, while those who glanced his way did so with suspicion and malice.

The king stood at the front, oblivious to the atmosphere all around, consumed and blinded by his hope. Tranton Seldon touched a hand to his waist again and flexed his remaining fingers.