35. I'm gonna be walking on air

I'll be very honest. It wasn't easy.

It took everything in us not to meet up literally every single day. We were simply not able to. The only time we could see each other was right after school before Dylan's father came home—if we didn't have anything else planned, that is—but this still only gave us an hour or two at best.

Moreover, final exams were getting closer and closer and I realized I hadn't put nearly enough time and effort into studying earlier the past year. Studying together hadn't proved to be very effective and I really needed to get good grades to graduate and go to college. I barely even knew what I wanted to do after I was done with high school! I wasn't exactly someone with passionate hobbies like my friends all were. Olivia was looking at studying something with makeup and fashion and all that crap I didn't know shit about. Rafael was most probably going to do something science-y, which I also didn't know shit about. And Ruby really, really wanted to become a vet, which I didn't— Well, you get the point.

Even Dylan and Floyd had some idea of what they wanted!

"Guys, what should I do after school?" I whined.

Dylan frowned at me. "You're a little late to be thinking of that now, Hugo. Didn't you already apply for something like... months ago?"

"I did," I groaned. "But I don't know if I'll like it. I just picked something, you know?"

"What did you pick?" Floyd asked.

"Well, umm... I did some tests back when I had to apply and those said I should do History, so I went with that."

"Following in Mr. Rosenberg's footsteps, huh?" Dylan teased.

"No," I scoffed. "Besides, I don't want to teach..."

"Why not?" asked Floyd. "I think you'd be a great teacher."

I shrugged. I didn't really have a reason for it. I just felt like it didn't fit me, but I didn't know what did fit me, so what gives? I'd just go and find out along the way, I guess. Maybe I'd really like History. Maybe I'd hate it and end up doing something else. In the end, it didn't really matter, because whatever I chose to do, I'd be with Dylan and Floyd, and they made me happy regardless.

Gosh, I was so sappy.

"Are you guys dorming?" I asked.

"I'm staying home," Dylan replied dryly. I couldn't stop my eyes from rolling into oblivion and this had him snickering gleefully, before he said, "No, I am indeed getting a dorm room on campus."

"Me too," I said, although I wasn't looking forward to it that much. To be honest, I was perfectly content staying at home, because my family was (surprise, surprise) actually nice to live with and everything, but my mother was adamant. In her world, going to college meant leaving home—no question.

Yay, life experiences...

Floyd and I were going to go to the same college and Dylan wouldn't be very far away, so we could easily visit each other whenever we'd want, and just the thought of that made me so incredibly happy. Only a few more weeks. We would no longer have to watch the clock with Dylan's father in the back of our minds, and wait weeks to have even a single moment of intimacy, and hide our relationship from every single person we knew. In college, no one payed attention to things like that. There were too many people (and too many people doing weird things) and if I had to believe all the stories I'd heard, a threesome was not a foreign concept. You'd have to do something extraordinarily outrageous for it to stand out and catch everyone's attention.

Floyd jumped up excitedly. "Maybe we can dorm together, Hugo!"

"I should just come and sneak into the college you guys go to," Dylan said with a pout. "You're going to be too far away!"