Chappie 14 : Cooking up a storm

After I ushered Jason and Kaitlyn to the stairs after chucking my slip-on ballet flats at them to wake them up I ran to the bathroom to take a quick shower before I hurried through my morning routine.Wearing a burgundy t-shirt and a black dungaree dress I put on a pair of blue Converse and grabbed my purse , wallet , car keys and phone . Grabbing a pop tart and some strawberries from the fridge , I send a quick text telling my mother she would not find me when she woke up but i'd be back later.Almost flying into my car I send Animeé a text letting her know I was on my way. After practically causing 3 accidents , I finally make it and a flood of apologies leaves my mouth the moment I set foot out my car. "I'm so sorry I'm late, I overslept and forgot to set an alarm or something...I hope you can forgive me...I'm quite-"
"Why aren't you saying anything ?"
"Because you aren't late you got here a little early , earlier than I thought you would " she said with the hint of a smile on her face."Oh I'm so relieved , but I thought you said-"
"I know what I said , I did it on purpose , I told you the wrong time so that in case you were late , you were actually right on time."
"But what if I was actually on time "I ask with an arched eyebrow
"Then you would've been extremely early, now let's go ."
She hands me a Starbucks takeaway cup and a bagel that I failed to notice earlier .
"I got you a pumpkin spiced latte , I don't know if you like it..."
"It's great, thank you Animeé"
"Ain't no thing but a chicken wing "
She got into her Ford and drove off while I got into mine .
I followed her and talked to her over the phone the whole way , the conversation flowed easily suprisingly ,until we finally arrived in Toledo where her uncle's diner is located.We drive for about 6 minutes before finally stopping at a retro looking building with the name Pepper on it , it looked pretty cool.
The floor was black and white tiled. The walls were painted red with a black line . The chairs were leather and suede , a navy blue color .
The tables were sand-blasted glass with cute little pictures in the middle.The wall was filled with pictures of fashionable roller bladers , bars, traffic ,and alot of other stuff I didn't feel like inspecting anymore . "Wow ! This is so cool"I said in awe trying to drink it all in ."Come on ,let's go find him ."she said while motioning for me to follow her deeper into the diner.
A man in a chino and white dress shirt rolled up to his elbows was standing behind the counter, brewing a pot of coffee.
"Hey Jared!"Animeé ran to this ridiculously hot guy and hugged him while he basically lifted her from the ground .Is that...like...her boyfriend?
It was as if she heard my inner question .
"Adelaide ,this is my uncle, Jared Gunt"
"Hey Adelaide , it's nice to meet you " He spreads his arms wide for a hug , extending the courtesy but all I did was put my finger on his incredible abs akwardly.Does this guy even know he's such a hot pepper ? I wonder how old he is.Looks pretty young.
I was dragged out of my thoughts by someone gripping my finger and pushing it gently away .I followed the trail to see that my finger was still on Jared's chest. With flaming cheeks I slowly lowered my finger and stepped away from the crime of a man.
" Nice to meet you but I'm not big on hugs from guys..." I said with an awkward stretched smile ,which Jared returned with a dazzling smile of his own
"I get it , personal space and all"
"Yep"
"Alright now that we've gotten over this awkward greeting, let's move onto the reason that we're here for "Animeé said with a clap of her hands
Jared gestured us to follow him.
We got to the kitchen and stacks of dirty plates were waiting for us.
We both turned our heads to look at each other and I let out a long groan.
Jared came in behind us and sheepishly smiled "I'm kinda low on staff and it was really busy last night "
We slowly shuffled over to the mountain of dishes and I filled the sink with half the bottle of dishwashing liquid and hot water that was scalding hot at first touch. I took a big breath and began washing glass after glass after glass until I could see my future through it. Animeé rinsed and stacked the glasses on a rack to dry. I set off to the plates which looked like Mt. Fuji . I scraped and scraped away at the caked food that stuck to the plate and tried not to gag when I touched a soggy piece of something in the water . After washing dishes until I was sure my fingers would disintergrate from being so pruny we finally finished and had to set off to make the basics for the morning customers ,waffles, pancakes , bagels and pop tarts apparently . We also played old music on the juke box ,dancing and laughing at each other's dancing . We set off to making the coffee in the six pots that were available who the heck needs six . It was 10h30 , the opening time for Pepper.It instantly became a sea of noise once all the customers walked in and we were busy, suprisingly we were great waitresses , I don't know if Animeé ever worked as a waitress but I was sure I hadn't but I was swimming through the ocean of people who were slowly starting to crowed the huge diner . It was a good thing everything was prepared just before everyone arrived and it all just needed an extra minute or two to get ready."Hey Animeé , did you take out the plates from the oven?" Her eyes widened and we both ran to the oven but it was too late we left the plates in the oven for too long and we had put in about 25 and the next thing you know there's ceramic plates exploding. We started screaming and ducked right on time because one of the oven doors flew open from the pressure and 3 plates flew out , smashing against the wall . People were beginning to complain very loudly and we didn't want Jared getting complaints about bad service so I headed out to the customers to attend to their orders .A man who looked to be about in his forties ordered an omelette and I didn't know what to do, we hadn't prepared any omelettes . I offered the customer a cup of coffee and he accepted that oughta buy me some time. I stepped back into the kitchen and it was as if the whole plate accident hadn't even happened. I told Animeé to prepare the omelette while I went to attend to more of the customers. I hated to admit but I was flustered and overwhelmed by all the motion and noise and like a gift from God two people came out of the kitchen dressed like waitresses and slipped into the ocean of people effortlessly. They were the staff Jared told us were running a little late.A little my ass .I breathed out a breath of relief anyway and began to furiously scratch my legs , I hugged out a breath and made my way to the freezer to get a packet of peas and bumped into a big tub of ice cream . I forgot to prop the door open and it locked me in, I tried pushing at it but it wouldn't budge.I banged in the door hoping to get some attention but no one came to the rescue , dammit ,where was Superman when you needed him .Oh well if I die, I'd rather go eating a tub of ice cream, that's a good way to go.
I couldn't see what flavor it was and there was a bit of ice cream left on the outside and I tried to lick it off the side of the tub but it wouldn't budge. I finally gave up but my tongue wouldn't move, great my tongue was stuck on the tub. I rolled my eyes and stood there for about 30 minutes and I felt like my tongue was going to fall off . I tried calling Animeé but she wasn't answering her phone. Just as I was about to grab the frozen meat off the shelf and knock myself out with it, I heard an angelic sound, a sound from the very heavens ,the sound of a trolley wheeling up to the gates of heaven in my case the gates of heaven was the freezer door.
Jared walked in and I swear his face could've melted the ice currently annihilating my taste buds . He is that hot. He was so shocked to see me that he also forgot to prop the door open and now we were both stuck in the freezer. Great.

Onwards

Shimmer like glitter
AraZee_