Sir Almost

Merlin wanted to die. She was hot. And muddy. And sweaty. And she was sure she looked a mess. For they were hunting. On the hottest day of the summer so far.

Then after hunting for hours. Arthur pulled her to the tavern for food. Where the only difference from inside the tavern and outside is that there were more people.

Arthur watched with an amused smile as Merlin groaned and put her head down on the table. "Merlin smile. Come on. Well go home right after this."

She only groaned in response. When she looked up Arthur's smile became much softer.

She looked crazy. Her hair was half out of its bun and sticking to her face from sweat. She was covered in dirt and was half asleep. Somehow she looked beautiful. She always did.

Merlin watched as Arthur walked away from their table to get them drinks.

She placed her head into her arms again and waited. When she heard Arthur's yelp her head shot up.

Arthur was currently being cornered by two really big men. Merlin stood up and tried to get Arthur away but Arthur stayed.

Next thing she knew the entire tavern was erupted into fights.

Merlin was about to use her magic to stop the man in front of her, when he fell over. Revealing a man with a broken vase.

"Hello." She said smiling.

"Hello M'lady." He said winking as he punched another man.

"I am no lady. Merlin." She said and shook his hand.

"You could have fooled me. Gwaine." He introduced and pulled her out of the way making a charging man run straight into a wall.

One of the men who started the fight was about to stab Arthur. The next thing Arthur knew their was a man in front of him, who had taken the knife, and punched the attacker.

Everyone else had left the tavern, including the workers. Leaving Arthur, his savior, and Merlin. Who informed him, that his savior a name was Gwaine.

They immediately rode back to Camelot and brought him to Gaius.

---

When Gwaine woke up with a headache he was surprised to find he still had clothes on.

Usually waking up in a bed, that wasn't his own, with a headache usually meant he slept with someone.

When he sat up he remembered. The beautiful woman, Merlin if he remembered correctly, the fight, and him taking a knife for her friend.

He stood up to see the room was empty. He smiled and walked towards the window. He opened the shudders and his jaw dropped. It was Camelot. That's not was shocked him. It was the view. He could see just about all of Camelot.

After watching the people Gwaine was starting to feel his wound.

So he walked out the door slowly. Merlin and a man, not her friend from before, were sitting and reading.

The man was attractive, Gwaine decided. He was a little taller than himself, and had both brown hair and eyes, much like himself.